cannot Load HD capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 14th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Tourist

cannot Load HD capture

Hello; I'm trynig to get HD capture to work, but No matter what i do during the install I endup with a "AVC compliant DV camcorder' instead of the GR-HD10U that I need for HD capture Utility to work.!
Does anyone have this issued and is there a work around or solution so I can caputre my HD files?

Thsnks for the help.
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Welcome on DVInfo.net Roy! I have some questions:

1. what is your operating system

2. "AVC compliant DV camcorder" is the general message which you usually get and is good

3. what is HD capture? or what software program are you using?

4. what is this "install" you are talking about?

5. why do you say you "need" it another way around? Where have you seen or read this?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #3
AJA Video Systems

Roy,

What's Happening Man! Long time no talk.

The problem you're having is not a windows problem or a driver problem. It's a camera problem. The Camera is not identifying itself to windows properly.

There are two switches on the camera...... One is a physical switch on the side of the cam under the LCD. It should be set to 'MPEG 2'. The second switch is a software setting in the menu.... Ilink Out needs to be set to 'SW' instead of 'Auto'

Finally, if that doesnt work then drop a tape into the camera that you KNOW has HD content on it. Press 'Play' on the tape so that it is actually reading the HD signal. The unplug the firewire from the camera, and then replug it.

This is unfortunately maybe the single largest support problem for the JVC camera.....

Thad H.
CineForm Support

P.S. WinXP SP2 has a plug and play driver for both the JVC and Sony Cameras (Yay)
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Thad: thank you for your detailed reply. Are you saying that you
need to do those things only with SP1 and earlier and SP2 will
work okay from the get go? I learned a new thing today anyway,
thanks!

Roy: can you confirm this solves your problems?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #5
AJA Video Systems

Rob,

Yes, WinXP SP2 has a driver that will automatically be loaded when the HDV cameras are detected. This however is still dependent on the cameras being in the right mode. Both the JVC and Sony cameras have modes that will tell Windows XP that it is a DV camera. If they are set to this mode, thats how they will be detected, and a different driver will be loaded.

So, the good news is that the driver loading is now easier. The bad news is that the support of both HDV and DV by these cameras makes their initial setup slightly more complicated....still the complexity is well worth the features ;-)

Thad H.
CineForm Support
Old November 22nd, 2004, 05:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Roy, Rob and Thad...

I am reading this post with great interest and hope you can help me.

Roy, can you confirm this solves your problems because it doesn't solve mine.

I don't have the JVC GR-HD1 but the JVC GR-PD1 and my problem is uncannily similar to yours Roy, but no joy with the suggestions by Rob and Thad unfortunately.

I've been using a JVC GR-PD1 camcorder and Windows XP with a firewire connection without issue for months.

The JVC instructions included a special section on 'Driver Installation'. When you connected the camera for the first time 'Found New Hardware Wizard' popped up and you were directed - by the JVC instructions -to install from a 'specified location' and to select 'I will choose the driver to install...'

You entered 'Sound, video and game controllers' and selected 'JVC' and even 'JVC Tape Device'.

Once you did this, the connection between the camcorder and the computer always worked great. In fact, I had to re-install my system software a number of times, for unrelated reasons, and each time I went through the above JVC driver routine with the camcorder without issue.

I have a broadband connection and allow my system to update (download/install) from Microsoft automatically. Accordingly, I was very quick to adopt SP2. No such updating seemed to effect the said connection to the camera. Indeed recently I re-installed my system software with the old CD that came with the computer when first bought, then downloaded SP2. Subsequent to that, I went through the JVC driver routine detailed above. No problems.

Yesterday I connected my camera to the computer and was surprised to discover that the camera's capture software wasn't funding the camera.

Normally the name of the camera appears in the capture window. It didn't. A fairly typical bubble appeared at the bottom right of the screen, alerting me that a 'AVC compliant DV camcorder' was connected.

I noted this was slightly different phrasing than I was used to from that bubble. I also got a window asking me what did I want Windows to do? Record Video using Windows Movie Maker? Take No action?

The camcorder was also clearly visible when I opened 'My Computer'.

However, the camera's capture software was not aware of the camera at all. It just sat there, idle, with it's buttons shaded and unclickable, as if no camera were connected...

I explored Device Manager for a while, also right-clicked on the camcorder icon in 'My computer'. All I got from this was advice that everything was okay - driver and camera. I think everything was okay, too, if I wanted to use the camera in conjuction with Windows software...

However, the camera's capture software which I use (and use crucially!) looked the way it looks when no camera is connected.

I didn't know what to think. There's a DV/MPEG2 switch on the camera which has always been set to MPEG 2 and still is; an ILink Out setting which needs to be set to 'SW' instead of 'Auto' - always has been and still is!

I recently set up a Bluetooth connection on my PC and worried that might have caused the strange shift in attutude - it was the only thing I had done to change my PC recently.

Reluctantly I completely re-installed my system software with the old SP1 CD and re-updated to SP2.

I went through the normal routine connecting the camera, assuming it would work now.

However, when I connected the camera for the first time it didn't even open Found New Hardware Wizard!

It found the camera, without allowing me to install driver from a 'specified location' or select 'I will choose the driver to install...' as JVC require.

Once again, the camera seemed properly connected - but the camera's capture software was unawares.

Anybody got any ideas?

This may be totally unhelpful, but I have heard a lot of JVC camcorders didn't originally work in Windows until Microsoft addressed JVC's non-standard FireWire implementation. Is it possible Microsoft has, somehow, undone the fix for JVC camcorders that it implemented by way of some update that occured automatically on my computer? Just a thought.

I would deeply appreciate any help.

Graham
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #7
Major Player

I continued wrestling with this problem. First of all I found that through Device Manager I could still 'install from a specified location' and 'choose driver to install'. There were two JVC options on the list then - tape device or digital camera.. but neither made any difference.

I have, however, found that sometimes when I plug in the PD1 to the computer by the firewire it's model name DOES appear in the camera's capture utility. Sometimes it doesn't.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions