Missing Audio Track at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Missing Audio Track

I must be doing something wrong!

I have been successfully capturing video form the FX1 via CapDVHS. However I am not getting the audio track.

There is audio on tape via the payback, but I am not getting the audio contained within the mpeg file that CapDVHS produces.

Do I have the configure soemthing in CapDVHS or do i need to capture the audio track seperately?

Confused.

Tony
Tony Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Missing Audio Track

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Roulston : I must be doing something wrong!

I have been successfully capturing video form the FX1 via CapDVHS. However I am not getting the audio track.

There is audio on tape via the payback, but I am not getting the audio contained within the mpeg file that CapDVHS produces.

Do I have the configure soemthing in CapDVHS or do i need to capture the audio track seperately?

Confused.

Tony -->>>

It's unlikely that you're doing anything wrong..... It's just that the audio on an m2t isn't necessarily where or of the type that CapDVHS expects.

There is (according to a post in the HDV editing forum) a new CapDVHS version that supports capture of Track2 MPEG1 audio. Don't know how accurate the info was however....

You could try the ConnectHD Beta from Cineform as they've added FX1 capture support to it......

Another option may be VLC....

BTW, Sony HQ reckon they will get an FX1 to me by Friday - they better or the Consumer affairs card will be played... Thanks for putting me in touch with Seaoptics.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

An Improvement

I have progessed soemwhat.

Changing the file extension from mpg to m2t allows the audio to be played back via VLC when it wasn't otherwise.

The real outstanding issue that when I import one of the samples from the forum into Vegas, it creates a video track and an audio track. One of the sample *.m2t files.

But not with my captured files.

I am sure that is a setting for CapDVHS that I have missed.

I hope Sony step-up and supply, good luck.

I am now eagerly waiting on a housing from Amphibico to be finalised. This camera should produce stunning underwtaer footage.

Cheers, Tony
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Solved - I Think

The problme that I was having, no audio track when dropped into Vegas, seems to be worked around.

Once captured to file, I have o process with RemuxTS. The output when dropped into Vegas is two distinct tracks.

So what is actually happening here?

Tony
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: Solved - I Think

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Roulston : The problme that I was having, no audio track when dropped into Vegas, seems to be worked around.

Once captured to file, I have o process with RemuxTS. The output when dropped into Vegas is two distinct tracks.

So what is actually happening here?

Tony -->>>

Tony, have you tried opening the m2t in Womble MPEG-vcr?

I was able to open and demux Kaku's m2t files that way.

Have you tried just opening the files straight into Vegas (use the 'all files' option rather than 'mpeg' etc.... I was able open Kaku's m2ts in Vegas that way...

BTW, I received a call from Sony Aust. informing me that my FX1 had been sent to the courier depot this afternnon... so I may see it before Christmas after all. Gonna shoot some old warbirds with it and the HD10u on the weekend!!!
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Good news on the supply

Steve, glad to hear they re-prioitised your order. I know you will enjoy the camera. I used it last night to shoot my daugther's year 12 formal. 3 mintues of footage = 8 gb of raw m2t file.

I found that in capturing this footage capDVHS worked fine, producing video and audio tracks without remuxing?

Now really confused I must have had a wrong switch setting???

Some hints, I picked up an extra battery, the largest one sony have for the camera. It produces a far better ballance as with the small battery the camera is little lens heavy, but just right when the big battery is installed.

I have installed a UV filter to protect the front element and was happy to that is fits with the lens hood etc.

Regards, Tony
Old November 24th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Re: Good news on the supply

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Roulston : Steve, glad to hear they re-prioitised your order. I know you will enjoy the camera. I used it last night to shoot my daugther's year 12 formal. 3 mintues of footage = 8 gb of raw m2t file.

I found that in capturing this footage capDVHS worked fine, producing video and audio tracks without remuxing?

Now really confused I must have had a wrong switch setting???

Some hints, I picked up an extra battery, the largest one sony have for the camera. It produces a far better ballance as with the small battery the camera is little lens heavy, but just right when the big battery is installed.

I have installed a UV filter to protect the front element and was happy to that is fits with the lens hood etc.

Regards, Tony -->>>

So the low-light performance came to the fore at the formal? I wouldn't have been able to use the HD10 under the lighting conditions I've experienced at school formals - not without plenty of supplemental lighting!!

Part of my order from Sony included the bigger battery, hard case, rain jacket etc... so I should be OK on the balance issue....

Are you sure about the 3mins = 8Gig? I've got quite a few hours of HD10 footage which comes to around the 135-140Gig mark.
1080i 1hr captures from the Visionplus DVB-t card come to around 7Gig. Admittedly the bitrate is a lot higher for the FX1 stream, but I was expecting around 30mins per 8Gig (approx.)

If the damned couriers that service our area condescend to deliver today (I could have walked to Sydney and back quicker!!!!), I'll try to find out what the deal is with CapDVHS as well as ConnectHD etc on the capture front.

Enjoy!!!
Old November 25th, 2004, 03:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Good news on the supply

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale : <<<-- Originally posted by Tony Roulston : Steve, glad to hear they re-prioitised your order. I know you will enjoy the camera. I used it last night to shoot my daugther's year 12 formal. 3 mintues of footage = 8 gb of raw m2t file.

Regards, Tony -->>>

Are you sure about the 3mins = 8Gig? I've got quite a few hours of HD10 footage which comes to around the 135-140Gig mark.
1080i 1hr captures from the Visionplus DVB-t card come to around 7Gig. Admittedly the bitrate is a lot higher for the FX1 stream, but I was expecting around 30mins per 8Gig (approx.)

Enjoy!!! -->>>

Are.... The fickle finger on keyboard. 33: minutes.... Yes three minutes would have been a bit dispointing!!!

Though the rendering esstimate is 12 hours!!

It'll run over night...On CD by days end, ready for graduation night.

Good luck on the delivery.

Tony
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Re: Re: Re: Good news on the supply

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Roulston :

Are.... The fickle finger on keyboard. 33: minutes.... Yes three minutes would have been a bit dispointing!!!

Though the rendering esstimate is 12 hours!!

It'll run over night...On CD by days end, ready for graduation night.

Good luck on the delivery.

Tony -->>>

Gotta love them typos!!

My camcorder, case, light, rain jacket etc arrived at about 1.30 this afternoon..... and wouldn't you know it; a mate rang and tugged on my heart-strings to go and play the drums at his studio. I was charging up the battery, so I went and played music - supposedly till 5pm, but I didn't get back till 7.30. So I haven't had much opportunity to play beyond doing a familiarization on controls.

The low light capability blows the HD10u outta da water!!! And the zoom rocker- though a little finicky is finer in it's control than the HD10's. I did notice a tendency for the focus to slip back a teencie weencie smidgin when manual focusing, but once I spotted it, I could account for it because it seems to be the same amount in the same direction every time. Most noticeable using expanded focus mode when fully zoomed on subject. Could just be the cam I got rather than an FX1 quirk in general.

I gotta say the hard case for the FX1 is impeccable!!! Beautifully constructed, and everything fits snuggly into place. I'll be using the JVC Pro mini-DV tapes that I got for the HD10 to shoot first up.....so hopefully no dropouts.

This weekend I'll be able to really test the FX1 fully, and I can't wait..... Damn going to work tomorrow!!!

Have fun with your FX1 Tony!!
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions