FCP HD vs. FCHDE vs. iMovie HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 11th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

FCP HD vs. FCHDE vs. iMovie HD

Apple has put up a comparison chart, similar to what I've seen on Avid. (And speaking of Avid, their photos for Avid XPress Pro HD has what looks like the HD10, but HDV support is coming later.) You can find it here:

http://www.apple.com/finalcut/

What I think is interesting is that Final Cut Pro says you need 3rd party software to run HDV...Which leads me to once again speculate (I hate that) that Apple is doing something different (no pun intended) with FCP and HDV. Something more advanced, maybe?

heath
Old January 12th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Im with you on this so I gotta believe its just a matter of time before FCP won't need third party software in order to fully support HDV. My assumption is that Apple has positioned FCP for the higher end uncompressed HD and made the false assumption that HDV is best served with FCExpress/iMovie for the lower end crowd. Seems weird I know so I hope soon they will offer an update that includes new support for HDV.

There is an interesting blurb on the FCP page (bottom right column) about Apple working on an HD format with Panasonic and another one about "Apple planning support for JVC's HDV format" - nothing about Sony curiously as Steve Jobs apparently made a glowing comment about this camera at MacWorld and even had a Sony rep there to talk about it. There is even pictures of the Sony HDR-FX1 camcorder all over Apples web page for iMovie and FCExpress.

Time will tell.
Todd Siechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

That blurb on FCP is from the days at NAB. They need to update it and also tell us when FCP support is coming.

heath
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Here's a full look at FCEHD.

From another page, I saw this and want to quote it:

"Simply connect your FireWire-equipped HDV or DV camcorder to your Mac and capture video directly to the Browser window. Then organize your clips with ease."

Yes, plug-and-play, so to speak. That's what many of us want.

heath
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #5
Trustee

Over at www.hdforindies.com he's saying that HDV will be done using the "Apple Intermediate Codec"? Anyone know what that is?
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : Over at www.hdforindies.com he's saying that HDV will be done using the "Apple Intermediate Codec"? Anyone know what that is? -->>>

So far that's the only detailed description I've seen of how Apple is actually dealing with HDV for their current solutions. Apparently they're converting HDV to a compressed I-frame codec during the capture process, in a manner similar to what Cineform has been doing on PCs for over a year now. So it's not direct "native" HDV editing and you can't output directly from the timeline back to the camera, but that's okay considering it makes the editing process much more efficient. We're just all going to have to get used to spending some time rendering HDV projects to the desired output format at the end of a project, which may take quite a while depending on what format you choose.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

To clarify, we can't go HDV back to cameras yet? Or can we?

heath
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : To clarify, we can't go HDV back to cameras yet? Or can we?

heath -->>>

I'm pretty sure I recall Jobs saying you can record HDV back to the camera.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : To clarify, we can't go HDV back to cameras yet? Or can we?

heath -->>>

from the FCE-HD specs page

output

Print to Video command for recording a sequence or clip back to DV or HDV device.

.. which would imply yes you can, though maybe it needs to be rendered as mpeg2 first.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #10
Major Player

I should add I can't see printing back to tape mentioned on the iMovie pages at all.

It would seem that FCE-HD may support print-to-HDV tape while iMovie does not.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Jobs did say you can send the project back out to the camera.

I still don't understand why they would include HDV editing in Final Cut Express and not the 3x more expensive Final Cut Pro.
Hayden Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #12
Inner Circle

If the "hdforindies" report is correct, you cannot go straight from the editing timeline back to HDV tape: you must first render back to the native HDV format and then output to the camera. So Jobs is correct that Apple supports output back to tape, but it's not real-time output.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

It is simple why you don't have HDV support on FCP yet. It isn't April 16th yet. FCE and iMovie are both consumer programs. MacWorld is a consumer expo. NAB is pro, and that is when we will see FCP5.0 with HDV support along with HD support for all of the other HD codecs and format. I would also bet that we see Motion as an included application with FCP5.0.

Just my thoughts...
Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions