M2T to WMV-HD conversion question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM   #1
New Boot

M2T to WMV-HD conversion question

Using the software that came with the camera I have an edited M2T file. I want to convert it to WMD-HD and burn it to a dvd.
if I load the M2T file in to windows media encoder as soon as I start the conversion the encoder crashes. Is there a program to convert the M2T file so the encoder runs? Or is there another way to do this? I have been able to do this in the past, but forgot. I do remember that I was using a freeware program. Thanks
pc user xp
Jeff Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Trustee

You may be thinking of remuxts.exe, which converts the transport stream to a program stream (which more programs can handle).

http://www.yamabe.org/hist.html
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Trustee

Graham, thanks. That is a new one on me. I have been using HDTV2MPEG, which I found the link for in the tools section of videohelp.com.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Jeff,

I have been using the WMV encoder by inputting M2T files directly. I have the Elecard and VLC MPG decoders installed. I think it is using the Elecard decoder.

If you have an appropriate MPG decoder installed, the WMV encoder will "find" that decoder and use it to make an uncompressed input for WMV. Maybe you have an MPG decoder installed that the WMV encoder doesn't like? It certainly works better to decode "on the fly" than to create a huge intermediate file. Good luck!
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Jeff, David's suggestion is a good one if it works for you.

Just to clarify (not that anything is necessarily unclear) the remuxts option isn't recompressing the file or anything lossy like that - it just reconfigures the packet structure. Filesize is essentially unchanged and it takes only a couple of seconds per minute of video.
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Trustee

TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress goes straight from m2t to WMV9 also.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks
I tryed remuxts.exe but the settings for ps was grayed out. The software gives an error message that it can't find capture device.
I then found HDTV2MPEG2 and this ws the program I was using last year. However the encoder crashed again. I checked the events log and found that the encoder crashed because of a conflict with my software dvd player. "ivivideo.ax version 4.0.11.179 fault address 0x000da0b4" . Next I'll try and see if the encoder takes a m2t file directly.
Yes it takes it directly, I'll check out tmpgenc
Jeff Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #8
Trustee

Jeff - are you sure you tried remuxts, and not one of the capture or writing programs also downloadable from that site?

The version of remuxts that I have here (v.0.0.2.29) essentially has just an "input file" box, an "output file" box, and a "start" button....

...there's no "ps" setting that I can see, nor any capture device involved.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #9
Trustee

Tangent to the topic. How to make a WMV-HD disc (not that anyone has a player yet).

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=41374
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks George, that's interesting info. By the way, some people are buying the new DVD players capable of playing a WMV HD file, but I don't think those would be able to use the menu system Microsoft is describing. Other folks are starting to use dedicated PCs for displaying video and other content on their HDTVs, so that's another option for some clients.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thought it may be useful to show the full cycle of converting mt2 to wm9

m2t -> remuxTS -> TMPGEnc -> add file, select WMV, set proper framerate -> encode

This seems to be the lowest overhead method, unless theres one tool to do true mt2 to wmv or wmvHD.
Allen Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Allen: I can encode directly to the Windows Media HD format from the Canopus Edius editing software, and I think many other HDV-capable programs have the same ability.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Avoid M2T altogether!

Using CapDVHS you can lay down a program stream file on the disk, avoiding all the annoyance of dealing with M2T files altogether. All you lose is what is inherent to the transport stream: the timecode info and info about other camera settings like shutter speed and exposure.

There's both a Japanese and an English version of CapDVHS out there.

-Lorin
Lorin Thwaits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions