best graphics card for HDV editing under 1K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #1
New Boot

best graphics card for HDV editing under 1K

I'm looking for either an Nvidia or an Ati graphics card, one that is not overkill for HDV editing, can anyone please point me in the right direction, thanks.
Dave LaNasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Depends on your NLE. Premiere, for example, doesn't really use the card so any card around $100 or less will work. The only thing Adobe says is to avoid onboard graphics.

Check the website for your NLE and see what they recommend.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Depends, of course, on Mac or PC, etc. If you get a recent nVidia board, Premier and Photoshop will make use of OpenGL to speed certain rendering features... fwiw I have an nVidia 9800 GTX+, which I think cost less than $200, seems completely satisfactory.../ Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Video editing has very little to do with your video card. A modest GPU will do so long that it isn't integrated. It's best to spend more on the CPU and RAM as opposed to a $1000 graphics card.

To my knowledge, Avid and Apple favor Nvidia. It seems that Adobe is indifferent to graphics card brand.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
Depends, of course, on Mac or PC, etc. If you get a recent nVidia board, Premier and Photoshop will make use of OpenGL to speed certain rendering features... fwiw I have an nVidia 9800 GTX+, which I think cost less than $200, seems completely satisfactory.../ Battle Vaughan
Just for accuracy, Premiere does not use OpenGL, AE does. The only moment Premiere uses OpenGL is when using AE effects.

BTW I completely agree with Devin, better get a sub-$ 200 video card and spend the rest on faster CPU, more RAM and disks, extra cooling, better PSU, etc. and you will end up with a much faster system.

Last edited by Harm Millaard; September 29th, 2009 at 04:18 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks everyone for your advise, Sorry for not being spacific, I use Avid, Premiere and After Effects. Also how do I know the card is openGL.
Dave LaNasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Avid is totally different since they have a list of compatible harware (included video card).

And particularly Avid recommend the Quadro serie for their product.
unfortunately the Nvidia quadro is a professional serie of card , very expensive , unless you limit your choice to the lower end.

OpenGL is hardly a feature used for video editing, DirectX being more powerful for this purpose. OpenGL is great for CAD, or for some special effect using features from OPenGL that probably exist also under DirectX. The Multiple buffering (dual, triple, quad) is a pretty interesting feature for video editing, allowing to display a picture while calculating the next ones. but it require huge amount of memory, that is why quadro card can come with 1.5gig onboard.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:31 AM   #8
Trustee

Avid may require another card, but for PR and AE I would look at ATI HD4870, HD4890 or HD5850. An alternative might be the nVidia GTX 275.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Trustee

I would look at any of the newer NVIDIA cards that support Cuda. We're going to be seeing a lot of next generation NLEs that will use the GPU via Cuda. There's already some add-on programs.

The GT9800 and up should work. I just picked up a GTX260 for about $150 from Newegg.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Trustee

Avid recommends a Quadro FX, like was mentioned above ;). That said, a lot people have had good luck running GeForce cards.

I'd give Videoguys a call and ask them which card gives the best bang for your buck for MC. They are quite knowledgeable when it comes to computer equipment working well with Avid.

HTH.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

It's been a while since I checked, but nVidia does make some Quadro cards that have After Effects support built in. I think they were in the 500 dollar range. So probably not anything you are interested in, but just throwing that out there for others. So far everything has ran smoothly on my 8800GTS, I just need to get a couple more gigs of RAM in my machine.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

If you use a quadro card with the Elemental software add on, the h.264 rendering will speed up 11 times. I am taking 4 hours to render 2 hours of video with 30% CPU load.
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Trustee

For a $ 1700+ card that is very slow. On my machine with a $ 200 card it takes less than 2 hours, faster than RT, to achieve that, but then I spent my money on the computer (CPU, memory and disks), not on a questionable video card that only helps with H.264 encoding. Everything in my case is faster, so I doubt the value of a Quadro card, when you can better spend the same amount on better components and profit with every application.
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Must be a pretty amazing machine to render full 1920 files into h.264 faster than real time, seems like most are seeing a 5-10 times ratio.

Average HD render time ratio - Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum

Are you doing much color grading? Is it a single pass encode? What are your specs?

Mine is an Core i7 940 with 6g DDR3, Vista 64 bit, two drive Raid. I can encode while running, Premiere, Encore, Photoshop and After Affects at the same time. What upgrade would give me a 1:1 or better render time?
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #15
Trustee

David,

Single pass without color grading. Color grading is a killer for rendering times. And not to forget, not using maximum render quality, which also doubles or triples the rendering time.

I run an i7 @ 3.6 GHz with 12 GB RAM and a 12 TB raid30 (average sequential read 850+ MB/s), plus some other disks. Sometimes even running @ 3.8 GHz. See below:
Attached Thumbnails
best graphics card for HDV editing under 1K-pcresults.jpg  
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions