Laptop vs. Desktop - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Desktops will always be better power-wise just because they're more upgradable and are can more easily adjust cases to let heat flow better (greatly reducing heat sink costs). However, laptops have their ups. If you have the money, a mobile i7 laptop will give you all the power you need and dock it. It will have an HDMI out these days and also a vga. You can add to it with a dock like this: ViDock 2 ExpressCard External Video Card Solution - ViDock2, $292.95.

In fact for my laptop I have a dock where I just plug in the usb hub and the vga cable and then it basically turns into a desktop (I have a mouse and keyboard plugged into the hub).
Chris Rackauckas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Sellars View Post
From what I've read about these DIY plans from these video guys they use some form of raid array and expensive graphics cards which these days is overkill, most editing programs I tried gained nothing from graphics cards, the only exception I found was Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 12 (not a program I would recommend) really all you need is a fast processor and plenty of storage, I beleive in keeping it simple.
Adobe CS4 use the video card a reasonable amount and Avid Media Composer uses it extensively. Vegas uses it not at all.
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for all the useful insights!
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions