Software for simple HDV editing ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #1
New Boot

Software for simple HDV editing ?

I have recently purchased the components to build a very capable PC which I hope to do light editing from a Canon HV40 and output to blue ray burner. I doubt that I will be using more than one camera in a shoot. I have an i7 920 processor, 12 gigs memory, 2 SSD 30g drives in raid, & 2 640g WD HDD in raid. I want software that can be very simple to use, and yet allow for more complex editing as I become more experienced. I know there are many opinions out there, but I am all ears.
Michael DeVoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Trustee

Start with Premiere Elements. Then, when you have grown accustomed to her face, you can step up to Premiere Pro and the rest of the Adobe applications, without the need to learn a complete new interface.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeVoge View Post
I have recently purchased the components to build a very capable PC which I hope to do light editing from a Canon HV40 and output to blue ray burner. I doubt that I will be using more than one camera in a shoot. I have an i7 920 processor, 12 gigs memory, 2 SSD 30g drives in raid, & 2 640g WD HDD in raid. I want software that can be very simple to use, and yet allow for more complex editing as I become more experienced. I know there are many opinions out there, but I am all ears.
Sony Vegas is generally regarded as the most intuitive NLE. They have a pro and consumer version. It's also by far the best priced.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Trustee

I must be the exception to the rule. I tried it and hated it, but that is just me. However good Vegas is (and I never did discover it), it still lacks the integration with AE, PS, EN and the like, using Dynamic Link, but I also concede that the choice is a very personal one and the best way to choose is to download the trial versions and try them out and decide on what fits best with your workflow and source material.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi
I agree Premiere Elements is a good place to start...then you can progress to a more compete set up if you need it.

I've used various programmes in my time some good some not so good...Magix, IMovie, Movimaker, Premiere Elements, Premiere Pro, CS2, CS4, Edius, Avid, FCP..

I have to disagree that Vegas is intuitive, as I found it to be the most confusing and illogial NLE I have ever used... on the other hand I had to learn Edius for a job recently and it took me all of about ten minutes to get comfortable...
I use CS4 on my own PC at the moment..

Cheers
Gareth
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
I must be the exception to the rule. I tried it and hated it, but that is just me. However good Vegas is (and I never did discover it), it still lacks the integration with AE, PS, EN and the like, using Dynamic Link, but I also concede that the choice is a very personal one and the best way to choose is to download the trial versions and try them out and decide on what fits best with your workflow and source material.
He is my conclusion about the relative intuitiveness of Vegas, techies and engineers find it totally goofed up and illogical frequently. It's often dismissed as amateur or worse. Non techies (writers, producers, directors and the like) usually say "Where you been all my life?"
Audio guys love Vegas for sure, as that's where its roots are.

For sure, Adobe has the best integration with other softwares like AE. Vegas however is good as as a one-size-fits all.

I use it because it's cheap and easy.

Btw, Edius baffled me like no other. Yeah, I'm mainly a writer I guess, never did figure out this internets stuff.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #7
New Boot

Acronyms ?

I'll probably check into Adobe Premiere Elements and maybe Sony Vegas and see how they work. What are all these acronyms you guys are throwing around ? CS2, CS4 ?
Michael DeVoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

CS stands for Creative Suite, Premiere and Final Cut are usually bundled with other media software such as PS (Photo Shop) AE (After Effects) and others. They are extremely powerful and you do pay for that power -- which again brings me back to Vegas whose slogan should be "cheap and easy".
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions