Matrox MXO2 Mini FAQ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Matrox MXO2 Family FAQ

The Matrox MXO2 family of products are revolutionary new HD I/O device from Matrox that supports both PC and Mac workstations and Laptops! This Videoguys FAQ on the Matrox MXO2 Family is dedicated to the SDI products including the MXO2 LE, MXO2 and MXO2 Rack and has everything you need to know about these exciting new products.

The Videoguys' MXO2 Family FAQ is divided into 5 parts:

I. OVERVIEW OF THE COMPLETE MATROX MXO2 FAMILY
The Matrox MXO2 family of products connect to your PC or Mac via a PCIe card in your workstation or an ExpressCard adapter in your laptop. The MXO2 is an excellent addition to any editing suite and have been used by a a wide variety of users ranging from cable news, local call letters, high end production houses, independent film makers, event videographers and more. Some are using it for uncompressed HD & SD footage, while many others have integrated MXO2 into their tapeless workflows both in the field and in their main editing suites.

II. HD FORMAT & WORKFLOWS
The MXO2 family of products support all the latest HD and tapeless workflows including P2, XD CAM, RED, AVCHD and of course ProRes. On Mac systems with at least two Dual-Core or a Quad-Core 2.4 GHz or faster CPU you can also capture to HD ProRes422 and ProRes 422 HQ 720P or 1080i in real time. On the Windows side you can capture HD footage directly into Matrox MPEG2 HD CODEC. The Matrox MPEG2 HD CODEC allows you to variably set the bit rate and has been used in Matrox's Axio and RT.X line of products for years. It is tested and proven in even the most demanding broadcast environments. For AVCHD footage you can use the Cineform Intermdiary CODEC for significantly improved workflow with no picture quality loss.

III. MATROX WITH MAX TECHNOLOGY AND THE ADVANTAGES OF H.264 ACCELERATION
Matrox MAX is a unique technology that implements faster than realtime H.264 encoding for resolutions ranging from iPod to HD. It uses a dedicated hardware processor to accelerate the creation of H.264 files for Blu-ray, the web, and mobile devices. By using specialized hardware acceleration, jobs are finished with amazing speed and system resources are liberated for other tasks. Quality and flexibility are ensured through direct integration with professional applications such as Apple Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder. As an added benefit, the Matrox MAX technology allows direct export to higher-quality H.264 Blu-ray compliant files from Compressor.

IV. COMPARISON OF THE MATROX MXO2 VERSIONS
You can't have a good comparison without a chart! Check out the Videoguys comparison chart showing all the key features of the MXO2 family of products and determine which box has the I/O you need. In short;

* If you don't require SDI connectivity, the MXO2 Mini is the perfect I/O solution for you.
* If you need SDI then the MXO2 LE at under $1,000 is a fantastic choice.
* The MXO2 adds additional audio I/O and SDI channels.
* The MXO2 Rack adds even more audio I/O and genlock loop-thru in a rugged rack mount design for broadcast environments.

V. MATROX MXO2 FAMILY vs. THE COMPETITION
We've got some great comparisons on the MXO2 LE vs. the AJA IO Express, Kona LHI and the Blackmagic DeckLink Extreme. There's even a handy comparison chart!

The Matrox MXO2 LE brings you all of the power, performance, quality and the features of the award winning MXO2, for under $1,000! The only difference is you get a little less audio I/O, but all the great cross and down conversion capabilities. This makes the MXO2 LE simply the best SDI equipped I/O solution for Final Cut & Adobe editors for under $1,000!!

Click here to Read the Complete Matrox MXO2 Family FAQ!
Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' FAQ: Matrox MXO2 Family of Products

Gary

Last edited by Gary Bettan; November 18th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.
Gary Bettan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions