Workflow for best quality HD to SD DVD with Avid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Workflow for best quality HD to SD DVD with Avid

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums and just started working with HD footage. I have read some of threads on here and they are SOO HELPFUL. I realize that this topic has been done to death and I hate to be another annoying noob, but I just have not seen information specific to Avid. I read this great thread on Maximizing HD to SD quality but it was mostly aimed towards Vegas and a non-Panasonic camera. So please help me out. I am film student and I'm just trying to figure out the best output to give to my actors.

I am using the Panasonic HMC 150 which uses AVCHD. The HMC 150 creates .MTS files which of course have to be transcoded for import into Avid. I want to know what is the best workflow from transcoding to exporting for the best SD quality DVD if I'm editing on Avid Xpress 5.72.

What programs do I need? What steps to take?

I am able to get additional software so please just tell me what is best and I will try to get the programs. At the moment I am only dealing with Avid Xpress 5.72 as an NLE so please keep that in mind. I may be able to get Media Composer but I am not certain at the moment. Currently, I am using the Main Concept Transcoder Panasonic provides. I transcode to DVCPRO HD but I have heard of Cineform which produces better quality.

How does Cineform work with Avid Xpress?

I posted this on the Avid Editing Family Forum but I wanted to post it here too because I know that some very knowledgeable people may not be working with Avid but they know alot about it. Thanks so much for your help! :)

What I have:
Sony Vaio PC
Avid Xpress 5.72
TMPGENC 4
Sorenson Squeeze 6
DVD it Pro HD
DVD Flick
Shakeitta McCord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions