cant see footage new jvc gy-100 in FCP5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Major Player

cant see footage new jvc gy-100 in FCP5

I am having some problems capturing footage from the jvc GY-HD-100 in to fcp5. The software will see my camera( i can control it) but not the footage, it remains black. So far I used hdv as capture but...
any ideas??/

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

might need to get a HD capture card not recommeding any kind but one i have heard of is the AJA Kona 2(there are other cheaper ones) but i dont think you really need that. Hopefully someone else can help you with this kinda of thing.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Major Player

More Details Please

David, do you see your footage playing back in the log and capture window at all, or is it just black when you capture?
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Major Player

David,
My guess is that you are having a QT 7 and/or Tiger problem. Check out this thread on the Apple FCP discussion: http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...Hb.1@.68b24d63.

If you are running FCP 5 on 10.3.9 then all you need to do is use the QuickTime 6.5.2 reinstaller and it should fix the problem (hopefully you don't need Apple's H.264 codec for the moment). I did this today on an old G4, and it fixed the same problem you are describing. If you're on Tiger then check that thread and get back to being productive. Good luck.

Edit: Incidentally, you do not need a Kona 2 or any other capture card for native HDV. It uses that tricky interframe compresssion so you don't have to deal with high data rates unless you want to.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #5
Major Player

I am doing 10.3.9 and I do have quicktime pro 7, the capture window is black I see no footage at all. The thing is it worked well with the new sony hd camcorder so why not for jvc?

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Wrangler

I was just reading about this on Apple's FCP support forum. Evidently FCP 5 does not support JVC's short GOP HDV format. The suggestion was to use Lumiere HD as a work-around.

So if this is correct, FCP 5 is not compatible with the new JVC camera without a third party add-on. Can anyone else confirm this?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Rocket Rentals

From my experience with the HD101 FCP5 will only see 720p HDV footage recorded at 30p. It does not see 25p, nor probably 24p (etc) as it currently stands. From what I have heard there are new updates in the works to solve this problem, but no indication as to when they will be released. Educated guess suggests at least another week or two.
Matthew Redmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions