FCP Render times dramatically increased at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 18th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Render times dramatically increased

Hi Guys,

Using Final Cut Pro.

Rendering times have jumped up considerably from previous edits. Duration of timeline is under 7 minutes, and it's taking over 24 hours just to render. I have made some changed to my workflow this time around, which I'll go into below.

I checked my sequence & project settings, prior to my most recent edit, and I noticed that the settings weren't at the 1920 x 1080 50i resolution and frame rate setting, so this was updated firstly. It was previously at 720 50i

I shoot off a 7D & 5D, so I transcode all native files, and import in timeline as Prores 422, which I understand should match up with the 1920 x 1080 dimensions specified in overall sequence or project.

I'm also using new external plugins, which I havn't done in the past. NewBlueFX Video Essentials to colour fix the clips, making the whites stand out etc. And I'm also using Neat Video to reduce the noise.

My full edit is around 30 minutes, and I'm concerned about the time it will take, if the 7 minute trailer has taken over 24 hours.

I would expect the rendering to take longer, especially with the increased resolution, and new plugins used, but something doesn't feel right here.

Is there another coding format I can used, instead of ProRes 422, that offers a small file, yet doesn't take away from quality, because I'm not going to have teh storage space or capacity, at the rate of current rendering times.

I
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FCP Render times dramatically increased

Hi Again,

Just wondering if I should change the following Sequence Settings, under Video Processing, which Is probably current set as 10 bit YUV?

- Always Render in RGB
- Render in 8-bit YUV
- Render 10 bit material in high-precision YUV

Is changing this to RGB recommended, and what effect does this have on the outcome. Is there a marginal difference in quality?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions