HP Debuts an All-in-One 27" Xeon-based Workstation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HP Debuts an All-in-One 27" Xeon-based Workstation

This beast is not likely to appeal to many consumers (except the well-heeled, maybe), but it looks like HP have brought out a competitor to the iMac that goes a few steps beyond and offers tool-less user serviceability to boot. Prices start at $1899.
Looks like it might be a pretty compelling video editing workstation.

Introducing the HP Z1 Workstation - YouTube
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: HP Debuts an All-in-One 27" Xeon-based Workstation

Not to me, with that price, the very weak CPU, integrated graphics, limited RAM, only one 3.5" slot and the PSU. Even fully loaded at more than double the original price, the only thing that speaks for it is the screen.

It certainly is not a beast and calling it a workstation is misleading. It is nothing more than a very poor performing system with great looks, a great monitor and an even bigger price.

Last edited by Harm Millaard; March 15th, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Harm, I disagree, the thing that speaks to me about this is the design. All in one design that is user servicable is a very strong proposition for on set work from a design point of view, as it's more robust than a laptop, more servicable than a laptop, but has a smaller transport footprint than a workstation plus monitor.

As long as it is powerful enough to do the job, and can have replacement parts installed in the field, the price can become a secondary factor if you are travelling with a production.

If you are just looking at it in terms of it fulfilling a role that a traditional desktop would fulfill, but with a smaller floorspace footprint, it's less of an appealing proposition. If you look at it as something in between a laptop and workstation for those doing on set work (either photographic or video DIT type work) then the fact that it is inbetween becomes an advantage in certain circumstances, rather than a compromise.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Craig,

I agree with the concept, but not the components used. CPU, memory, disk and GPU are less than a decent notebook for the same price.

If this were offered with an i7 quad core + HT, 16 or 32 GB memory, a nVidia GTX 550+M and three disk bays, yes it would be attractive, at least with a price of $ 4000 or less.

You said: "As long as it is powerful enough to do the job".

That is exactly were the problem is, it is not powerful enough, far from it. It is way too slow to get anything done.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Guess we'd have to take into consideration exactly what job that is then. I guess steve did say video editing workstation, but that doesn't really mean anything to me anymore (and I work as a post production supervisor). Video needs have become incredibly varied from user to user, so while workstation power is a big issue, and price is a big issue, functional design, especially if it's the only machine of it's type on tthe market, can charge a premium.

And until there is a competitor with similiar form function on the market I simply would never make a decison about good enough without hands on testing. I have learnt not to judge computers by specs alone, ESPECIALLY when looking at stuff that may need to go on the road.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions