HD 30p vs HDV 50i using together at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #1
New Boot

HD 30p vs HDV 50i using together

I recently added a GoPro Hero3 Black camera to my cameras. I own a Canon XLH1a. Until today a always recorded in HDV 1440*1080 50i. The Hero3 captures in HD 1920*1080 30p.
I always edited in HDV but now i have to mix the two together.
What is the best I can do?
With the XLH1a i have the possibility to also record progressive. Normally I use interlaced because i think it is more dynamic and works better for slowmotion. But it's 25p and not 30p like the Hero3. (I will probaply also use the 60fps/120fps function).
Otherwise is the problem with the resolution. I have imported 1440 footage in vegas while the properties are set to 1920 in stead of 1440. But it seems not to change, not streched or cropped? How is that possible?
Thanks for the help!
Pieter Samijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: HD 30p vs HDV 50i using together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Samijn View Post
What is the best I can do?
You have one NTSC camera and one PAL camera. There is almost no reasonable way to mix 30p with 50i. Assuming the electric grid in your country uses is 50hz AC, what you need is a GoPro with 25p and 50p shooting modes?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Although Eric is right, Vegas does a reasonable job mixing 30 fs and 25 fps - if you render to 25 fps it just drops every seventh frame from the 30fps and if you're lucky you don't notice. Basically, setting the project properties to the same scale as your footage is just a convenience for getting the same preview on your edit - you can set the project properties to anything you like and put any kind of footage on your timeline, only thing you'd really notice is aspect ration, e.g. if it's 3:4 or 16:9. But unless you've got a really powerful machine you might want to transcode the GoPro footage first.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Sorry - that's "every sixth frame". And don't forget to disable resampling.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanx for the answers. So if i'm correct, i should better start recoding with the xlh1 in 25p in stead of 50i?

And for my other question, i didn't tought of the pixelaspectratio :). 1 for the gopro and 1.33 for the xlh1 results in the same resolution.
Pieter Samijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Samijn View Post
Thanx for the answers. So if i'm correct, i should better start recoding with the xlh1 in 25p in stead of 50i?

And for my other question, i didn't tought of the pixelaspectratio :). 1 for the gopro and 1.33 for the xlh1 results in the same resolution.
You are correct about the pixel aspect ratios. If you are converting 30p to either 50i or 25p be careful because any camara pan of the GoPro may judder in a rather unacceptible way.

Last edited by Eric Olson; January 29th, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions