HDV delivery method at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 11th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV delivery method

I'm curious to hear what the trends are in delivery of HDV footage to clients. In other words, what method is typically asked for? I'm assuming if a client has done much work with HD/HDV, most are already going to have the facilities to make sure that they can import the video into their NLE system from as many sources as possible.

Just brainstorming on a few of the possibilities:

1.) Deliver on an HDV tape. Best if client has a compatible deck.

2.) Burn M2T file(s) to data DVD(s) or CD(s) - might work for shorter projects. Long videos would require multiple disks.

3.) Burn CineForm AVIs to DVD/CD. Client would need CineForm codec.

4.) FTP option 2 and 3. Client/shooter both need high speed connection.

I guess it would depend on what the client asks for, but the M2T file option seems like the 'purest' delivery form if a tape is not compatible with their system. This is the option I'm leaning toward, but wondered what others are doing.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm just finishing my first full HDV wedding video, and I'm delivering the master copy to the client as an M2T file on an external hard drive he provided for this purpose. With hard drives so cheap these days, this approach makes sense until we get HD DVDs which can hold an hour or more of full-quality HDV footage.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Major Player

It's interesting that an external hard drive is mentioned on here, and it encourages me to wonder if an external usb hard drive with an m2t file on it or any other hdv format would play on the Hitachi plasmas with usb on them. I guess they would need a decoder, right?
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
I'm just finishing my first full HDV wedding video, and I'm delivering the master copy to the client as an M2T file on an external hard drive he provided for this purpose. With hard drives so cheap these days, this approach makes sense until we get HD DVDs which can hold an hour or more of full-quality HDV footage.
Very smart client and a very inovative vendor!!! I also had my own personal wedding shot in HDV this past summer. The final dvd I took home was SD. Not to worry my videoagrapher saved the orignal version onto his hardrive and also printed it to HDV tape. Just a wait around the corner for blu ray to get here.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #5
suspended -- contact admin

JVC sells a DVD deck that supports the playback of high definition video for around $350. This deck can be bundled as part of a complete wedding video package.
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #6
Major Player

This is just an IOdata machine. There is not authoring for HDV stuff so I just returned my machine.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions