HDV 1080i downconvert to 4:3 ntsc - How? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 15th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #1
New Boot

HDV 1080i downconvert to 4:3 ntsc - How?

Hai,
I have HDV 1080i footage at 29.97fps. I need to convert this to Ordinary 4:3 SD NTSC video. However when I do that, I get a black border at both top & bottom. How do we make that to a full screen 4:3 video?

Thanks for your reply
Jose

Last edited by Joseph Binu; November 15th, 2005 at 06:33 AM. Reason: speeling mistake
Joseph Binu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you have an HVR-Z1 then set i.Link donconvert on and choose the edge crop option from the downconvert menu.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #3
New Boot

Well, how do I do that from an NLE? without those black borders?
Thanks
Jose
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Binu
Well, how do I do that from an NLE? without those black borders?
Which NLE are you using? In Edius there's a "Layout" tool which allows you to resize each clip to fit the intended output format, so you simply expand the clip to have the correct height and then the edges are dropped automatically. Not sure how this works in other programs.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #5
New Boot

I am using Premiere Pro or Vegas . How do we do this ? Does that mean we hae to zoom in each clip to cut off these borders in 4:3 mode?

Thanks for the reple
Jose
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Binu
I am using Premiere Pro or Vegas . How do we do this ? Does that mean we hae to zoom in each clip to cut off these borders in 4:3 mode?

Thanks for the reple
Jose
In Vegas, load your 16:9 HDV clip (clips) into the timeline. Click the 'Pan/Crop Event' icon at the right hand edge of each clip.

In the window that then opens, select the 4:3 aspect ratio template from the drop-down list at the top of the window.

The outline preview panel should change to reflect a 4:3 rectangle chopping out from the 16:9 rectangle, without any bars at top or sides...

Do that for all your clips just to be sure, and then render your project with titles, transitions, etc... to a 4:3 ratio file of whatever format you desire and it should display correctly filling a 4:3 monitor/screen.

BTW, you can do this for the whole timeline if you desire... but if you want the ability to keyframe 4:3 'follow subject' moves within the 16:9 'master', then doing it for each clip is a lot easier.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Steve. That was what I wanted to know.
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #8
Tourist

Further question: 1080i downconvert to 480/60 p?

Since I don't have Z1
how do I downconvert 1080i to 480/60 p?

much appreciate
Luff Chen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions