Archiving HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 28th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Archiving HDV

Hi all,
I am needing to figure out what the best way to make copies or clones of our shoot tapes that preserve timecode. JVC's deck will copy the hdv signal just fine, but it seems not record timecode form the playback deck. This is a real problem for me, curious what others are doing for archiving. We have been recording a copy to D9, but that is not very future proof and we've lost the hdv signal.
thanks
Kevin
Kevin Herrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Oh, oh, oh, I know this one...

Actually, we just figured here that if I want to archive a captured or finished HDV project, the best way for now is to simply burn the m2t file or files, in the case of captured footage, to DVD. The files are a bit smaller than a comperable DV file size and they can now be reimported into our Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.2.1 suite fairly cleanly.

In Avid land, the path to HDV export is littered with m2t files anyway so why not archive them to DVD as files, rather than do a real time burn to a safety dub?

Just an idea. When/if Blue Ray makes t to the desktop as a user burnable drive/disc combo, you are going to have a ton of room for HDV footage.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I archive my HDV clips on to DVDs. Each Single Layer DVD holds 23 mins. A Dual Layer DVD will hold 40 mins. Sadly I have yet to find reliable Dual Layer Media...

Of course a single layer Blue Ray BD-R will hold 122 mins and a double layer 244 mins!!!
Hse Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #4
New Boot

I agree with Hse and Sean.

I'm on Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.2.1 as well, and archiving the "computer" files is much easier than exporting an m2t stream back to an HDV device.

Hse, I work on an HP xw8000 and installed a Pioneer A09 burner. I'm using Verbatim DL DVDs sucessfully--probably 40 or so now--and have created no coasters (knock wood).

Hope this helps.

Joe Womble
Joe Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I couldn't find what I am looking for so here is my question.

I have HV20 and used this process to convert clips from m2t to 24p avi:

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/0...-24p-pulldown/

Now I have the original clips in m2t and avi (9x bigger footprint due to “RGB” used during the conversion process. They claim "YUY2" would be 1/2 the "RGB" size).

I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 7 to edit avi clips.

I would like to archive clips with these requirements:

1) File size of the original m2t files, ideally smaller.
2) No or little quality loss.
3) Progressive format for progressive viewing "out of the box"
4) Editable format by VMSP7

What format should I use for archiving?
Peter Frollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry View Post
Oh, oh, oh, I know this one...

When/if Blue Ray makes t to the desktop as a user burnable drive/disc combo,
Sean McHenry
Its here now.... I've been using BD-RE/25 and dual layer BD-RE/50 backups for some time now as "data discs". They are $15 each, not much more than DV tapes.

Or, just archive to a shiny 750gig external USB or eSATA hard drive.
Don Blish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions