Apple XServe RAID at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple XServe RAID

I am thinking about picking up a 5.6TB XSERVE RAID ($7000) for my editing set-up and wanted to check in with others using it to see their thoughts.

I have a JVC HD-100U, which is HDV format, but I would like to move to uncompressed 720p 24p capture for some studio work (20% of work), and the stuff I shoot HDV (80%) bring it in and convert to 10 bit uncompressed.

I like to do a lot of color work on my images, and want the best image possible. As well as liking having online archiving. Would I gain a considerable improvement when doing lots of CC of the HDV footage when uncompressed?

Is this complete overkill? I may in the future add a second edit suite, but thats at least a year off. For those of you using the Apple RAID what do you think? What do you use it for? I know the internal/ external SATA solutions are cheaper, but not by that much (~$1500), and this is nice because its a seperate unit, can live beyond my current G5.

THoughts? Advice? and yes I am a gear addict
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #2
RED Problem Solver

They're loud, heavy and rock solid. They're a great solution, but expensive. I wouldn't give mine back though....

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

HOw loud is it?

About how loud is it. SHould i definitely plan on putting it in a closet? I would prefer to just put it under my desk.

Does it keep you from being able to work?
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:43 AM   #4
RED Problem Solver

Closet would be best :-) It's loud, but not extraordinarily loud, but when you add to it the G5 etc. etc. it's all quite loud.

Graeme
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #5
Trustee

I work with one a lot... very loud but has to be to stay cool. Rock solid performance once it is set up, make sure you turn off the caching when you set it up and I always recommend setting it up in a protective, not just striped RAID.... You can do uncompressed HD streams, which is nice...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM   #6
RED Problem Solver

Ash, how have you found the caching alters performance?

Graeme
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Trustee

YES! I have no idea why but it was causing dropped frames. Turned it off and not a problem since...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions