what would be a good spec for... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 6th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Major Player

what would be a good spec for...

Hi,
It looks like I may get a free copy of Edius pro 3.6 with my JVC HD100 (the JVC European promotion - although I'd rather have the free IDX battery kit you get in America). Can anyone recommend a good hardware spec for this software?
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You will get some information here:
http://www.canopus.com/support/hardw...patibility.php
This is really aimed at people building systems with Canopus cards but it will give you an idea of the motherboards OK`d for use with them. Edius Pro will also work just with OHCI Firewire, but you will need a powerful system (eg dual core) with lots of memory and hard drive space to get the most out of it.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For HDV editing in Edius you'll want a minimum of a basic dual-core processor, or preferably two very fast single-core or dual-core chips. I'm using a Pentium D 830 dual-core running at 3.0 GHz and it's just barely adequate for working with two layers of 1080i footage in Edius; at 720p resolution you'll get better performance but could still benefit from more processing power. You'll especially want all the processing power you can afford when it comes time to render the HD output from your HDV projects, which can take a very long time if you're going to compressed formats like Windows Media or H.264. For output back to HDV tape, buy the Canopus "Speed Encoder" and you'll get pretty quick results on dual-core or dual-processor setups.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks for your help on this - I've heard good things about this software so am looking forward to getting my hands on it
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions