capture card (firewire) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 25th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

capture card (firewire)

I have a Canon XL1S - I'm wanting to get a capture card and a dv cable to run from camera to computer 4pin to 4pin...what do I need to get. My computer is fairly recent....about 1 year old. I realize I need to get a bigger hardrive...

1. how big of a hardrive do I need to capture dv tape video safely?

2. Can I get an external maxtor harddrive and then run a firewire from that into the capture card with 2 firewire ports?? Can this be done??

3. What kind of DV cable do I need to get (4pin to 4pin)..do I need to get a special cable...canon has one but it's $50.

Anyhelp is appreciated.

Dean
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #2
New Boot

Answers to your questions

Here are some answers:

1- The bigger the better. I have 5 external drives ranging from 40Gig to 250Gig. As for safety... with a 160Gig drive, you can store over 12 hours.

2- It can be done. You can even plug the drive into the Firewire card and the camcorder into the drive's port if you want.

3- Most Firewire cards use the bigger connector (6-pin), so you'll need a 6 to 4-pin cable. A PCI Firewire card costs about 25$ at Tigerdirect.com and the 6 to 4-pin cable about 15$. You don't need to buy the more expensive Canon cable: any Firewire cable will do.

Have fun !
Jocelyn Deguise is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions