HVX200 G4 powerbook OS/hard drive question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX200 G4 powerbook OS/hard drive question

I just tried to update my 15' powerbook operating system to avoid any problems when I use it to capture from my HVX200's. (One in hand, one on the way soon I hope.) The Laptops will function as the transit device, I already have two LaCie 800FW cards and a couple of OWC 500 gig RAID HD's, per Robert Lanes thread on the best way to capture to a laptop. I don't have enough capacity for the updates as I have FCP studio on it also. (I need 30 gigs, and I only have 27 gigs left)

Do I need these updates for best performance? I plan to use the new/old G4's for capture from the HVX only. I have a new/old G5 quad for editing and a couple of PC's for the internet and other computer work. If I do need to upgrade the HD then would this be the best upgrade? 100GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 7200RPM SATA Notebook Drive with 8MB Cache. At least that is what most reports I've read on it recommends. Is this something I can do myself? I'm a very non-geek, though I can use a screwdriver. I've heard that it is very tricky working with notebooks. Also I'd have to transfer everything to the new HD and if I don't really need to, that would be the best option for me.

David
David M. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

David,

There is a site called, "www.ifixit.com" (formerly PBfixit.com). They have very clear, step-by-step instructions on how to do everything to a PB.

However, if you've never done more than replace HDD's or RAM in a computer then it's not something I'd suggest you attempt. Laptop innards are very, very small and fragile. The *large* connectors you're used to for things like power and HDD cables have been reduced to paper thin ribbon-type connectors which can be easily ruined.

I'd suggest taking your PB to a local Mac-authorized repair center to install the drive and transfer your data.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
David,

There is a site called, "www.ifixit.com" (formerly PBfixit.com). They have very clear, step-by-step instructions on how to do everything to a PB.

However, if you've never done more than replace HDD's or RAM in a computer then it's not something I'd suggest you attempt. Laptop innards are very, very small and fragile. The *large* connectors you're used to for things like power and HDD cables have been reduced to paper thin ribbon-type connectors which can be easily ruined.

I'd suggest taking your PB to a local Mac-authorized repair center to install the drive and transfer your data.
Thanks Robert. If I go that route that's what I'll do, have it done. But under the circumstances do I need to do this, or is the OS I have now good enough to film with now? I followed your info on setting up the G4 for optimal performance. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the camera and computer hooked up and running together. I'm new to this camera and computer, I was a PC guy and at 57 not all that good with them as is. (Old dog, new tricks etc) So I was wondering if there are any easy to follow tips out there on how to get the G4, the RAID drives and the HVX working together. Hopefully I'll be at the Apple/Panasonic symposium in the Bay area tomorrow weather permitting, and get some tips there, but the more info I can get the better it will be for me and the guys that also need to learn how to use this equipment. Also I have a Maxtor 300g external HD that I want to use as a backup HD but it is USB, and firewire, will this work OK to record with on my G4 and use to transfer info to my G5? If I use the USB connection will I need to use the LaCie card with the camera?

I'm coming at this as a first time indie flick producer, director, actor, the author of the story and screenplay, and everything else I have to do to get this film out of my head and on the DVD, and hopefully to film. I have a great story (Several really but this one I can film and learn some of the ropes to this craft in the process.) and I need to learn as much as I can about how to run the cameras and record to the computers as one of those other duties. You know how it is for us first timers, lots to learn. I did get some experience filming "Holy War" with a couple of DVX100a's, but a couple of volunteer actors dropped out and forced me re evaluate how I was going about this, which resulted in my getting a second on my house to get the HVX's and have some real money to hire actors/crew with. Free help only works when you have the kind of friends that Kevin Smith did on "Clerks" people who were as interested and motivated in the film as he was. Now this is not Hollywood movie money, but it is OK indie flick money, and I have some talent from the local colleges to work with now. So any info you or other members here can give me that will help me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David
David M. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions