Need to create the scope of a rifle POV in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Need to create the scope of a rifle POV in FCP

Hi,

doers anyone know how I can crerate a rifle scope POV on an image in FCP? I.e. I need to have a black round edge around an image with a cross centered, so it looks like you looking through a rifle scope. Any help is appreciated . Thanks
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can create an overlay with an alpha channel.

I'd make the outer circle slighly soft and the cross hairs sharp. The cross hairs are often slightly thicker, coming down to a finer point in the center area. Take a look at the Leupold website for various recticle designs. My personal favorite is the duplex recticle.

www.leupold.com

When shooting (the video) go to full zoom-in and handhold the camera for more realism. You could even mount it on a 3-foot-long board to simulate the same sort of pitch characteristics of a rifle stock.
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I've never done this exact thing per se, but it is fairly easy.

I assume you have the footage already? Do you have a program like photoshop?This is basic compositing. Here's how I would do it:

Create a new image in photoshop using green or blue (I think you could also use white for basic compositing)as the background color the same size as your video frame. Now create a new layer (image of the same size) in black that creates the round vignette a scope would have. Move that layer onto the blue/green image. Now you have what appears to be a big blue/green dot almost filling the entire frame. At this point I would apply the gaussian blur filter (the amount of blur is up to you.) Now draw in your cross hairs in the center. You could also import the crosshairs an from another picture (type in "crosshairs" in google or yahoo image search) and apply transparency to that. Flatten the image and save it in whatever format you prefer. Once you are done with the image you can layer that image over your video in FCP and composite it in.

Here's some tutorials on green/blue screen compositing here:
http://www.detonationfilms.com/tutorials.htm

They can probably explain it better than me. It's been awhile since I actually did this kind of stuff in FCP so my knowledge mis a little sketchy.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I wouldn't recommend doing something like blue/green keying - that's really just a workaround for live video where you don't have an alpha channel - an alpha should give you much cleaner results.

I've got some notes on my site about creating alpha channels in photoshop for use in after effects here:

http://www.divergentshadows.com/dv/a...hotoshop.shtml

scroll down to the alpha channel section. The basic process is is the same for final cut, after you've saved the file as a tiff, import it into FCP and drop it into a new video track on top of the video you want to superimpose it on - the transparent areas of the alpha channel should show the video below.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Even better. :)
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't think you even need to use channels - won't FCP recognize a transparent photoshop image along with all the layers? I believe the only thing FCP won't recognize are filters from photoshop. Just save your image as a PSD file keeping the parts you want to view transparent.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions