Upconverting SD to HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 16th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Upconverting SD to HD

We just filmed a spot with a Varicam. We need to mix in some SD footage by upconverting it to HD.

My question:

When we simply upconvert SD footage and mix it into HD footage, are we going to see a huge difference? Will our upconverted 16:9 SD footage look "digitally enlarged" or pixelated when displayed on an HDTV?

Thanks ahead of time!
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Major Player

You might try the demo of Red Giant Software's $99 InstantHD to convert some actual footage and see what you think (unless you have access to better resources):

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/instanthd.html

Short review with images here: http://www.outside-hollywood.com/2006/03/instant-hd-10/
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've tried "uprezzing" on and HDV timeline in PPro 2.0 and came up with a muddy unimpressive result. Using the Instant HD demo above, I got a much more pleasing result. Seemed sharper and more color saturated. Of couse I didn't try tweaking either. I just slapped the changes on and outputted to .m2t file to play back on Media Player.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stone
When we simply upconvert SD footage and mix it into HD footage, are we going to see a huge difference? Will our upconverted 16:9 SD footage look "digitally enlarged" or pixelated when displayed on an HDTV?
It shouldn't look unnaturally enlarged, but it's likely to look blurry compared to the Varicam material. Depending on your subject matter and how the footage was shot this may not be entirely obvious to viewers, but chances are it might be. Keep in mind that you can't create detail where none exists in the source image -- if that worked that we wouldn't need HD cameras in the first place. I've yet to see any solution for upsampling SD to HD which made it look like HD source material.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, everyone! The SD footage will come from an SDX-900.

All of our local channels broadcast in "HD" which is actually "upconverted SD". How do they do this? They claim such impressive results in HDTV and blah, blah. They talk about something called line doubling.

Our stations are so far behind the times. They only take Beta and they didn't even know what DVCPro is! At least the sales people don't.
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie
You might try the demo of Red Giant Software's $99 InstantHD to convert some actual footage and see what you think (unless you have access to better resources):

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/instanthd.html

Short review with images here: http://www.outside-hollywood.com/2006/03/instant-hd-10/
I wouldn't put any stock in a review that doesn't list DV Info as one of it's Digital Video links. ; ) Somebody needs to invite Mr. Isaac Botkin to join us here!

It looked like an incremental improvement in the stills posted. As always, its hard to evaluate the change to video by looking at the effect on stills. But it was definately sharper imagery.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions