HD100 HDV footage editing: HDV or SDI or SD?, I have no idea how I should output ftg at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100 HDV footage editing: HDV or SDI or SD?, I have no idea how I should output ftg

Hi, forgive a potentially stupid question, but I have no idea how to proceed with the footage that I shot on HD100.

I've heard that some people do HD to SDI conversion for NLE editing. What does it mean? Please be as simple as you can.

As far as I know my HD100 records HDV footage not HD. I am planning to edit my footage on a PC in Adobe Premiere Pro.

1. Do I need any kind of conversion?

2. Can I just simply edit HDV footage?

3.Why would I need to convert it to SDI?

4. Is SDI and SD the same thing?

5. Which is the best option for preserving quality???

6. Should I pay attention to special codecs like: MPEG, Quicktime, etc.

Please note that you'd be explaining all this to a reall dummy in editing technology. I beg of you to be as simple as possible in your explanations...

Thank you

P.S. A friend of mine once transfered his HD100 footage to Adobe Premiere Pro using Aspect HD capture plug-in. Does it do anything to the footage? Does it convert to SDI? I know he wanted to preserve 24p setting and that's why he used the Aspect Plug-in.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Rati Oneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Rextilleon

First of all HDV is HD, just HD compressed to mpeg2. There are many options when editing your footage. The first question to ask is how you plan to distribute the final product----HDV (HD) really is limited as to what you can do with it----that should change as the the blue-ray technology becomes prevelant and people have machines that will play back your footage. Until then, what many people do is capture in HDV, convert the HDV to DV or HDV intermedieries while capturing. This way,the master tape is future proofed and you can distbute your product as a DV. I don't know much about the HD100, but i assume it converts on the fly as you capture your video. If you want to keep it all HDV, then my recommendation would be to buy something like Cineform's HD Connect, which will caputre the files as intermedieries and make it much easier to edit.
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rati Oneli
Hi, forgive a potentially stupid question, but I have no idea how to proceed with the footage that I shot on HD100.

I've heard that some people do HD to SDI conversion for NLE editing. What does it mean? Please be as simple as you can.

As far as I know my HD100 records HDV footage not HD. I am planning to edit my footage on a PC in Adobe Premiere Pro.

1. Do I need any kind of conversion?

2. Can I just simply edit HDV footage?

3.Why would I need to convert it to SDI?

4. Is SDI and SD the same thing?

5. Which is the best option for preserving quality???

6. Should I pay attention to special codecs like: MPEG, Quicktime, etc.

Please note that you'd be explaining all this to a reall dummy in editing technology. I beg of you to be as simple as possible in your explanations...

Thank you

P.S. A friend of mine once transfered his HD100 footage to Adobe Premiere Pro using Aspect HD capture plug-in. Does it do anything to the footage? Does it convert to SDI? I know he wanted to preserve 24p setting and that's why he used the Aspect Plug-in.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
OK, I have been following this thread for some time so I wouldn't have to show MY ignorance! I was hoping someone would explain th HD SDI thing as well. For example, can someone explain the woekflow from an HD deck to capture. I mean the component out of the deck goes to what (converter?) then what does it convert to etc. When I say worlkflow, I mean literally from one component to the next and then what each component does.

Thanks,

Jeff Mack
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions