HD TV necessary? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Major Player

HD TV necessary?

I'm this has come up before, but a search didn't precisely answer this question.... sorry if I'm being redundant.

Got my new jvc hd100u, and now I'm trying to see what other pieces what help me get the most out of it.

I have a Dell 2005fpw monitor... I'm wondering if I should get an HD TV, just a 23" inch one, to get a better idea of what it'll look like? Would that be any more accurate that just using my monitor?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Reply and addendum to my own dumba$$ question

Just wanted to add, I wasn't looking for a discussion of different monitors and their relative merits... I found lots of threads, which are really helpful. I think my question is a little different.

Also, I'm thinking about getting jvc's hd dvd player..... Also, to help me gauge how my stuff would look. Also, I have this crazy idea of showing my films in art galleries, kind of the way they have folk singers and performance pieces. These happen a lot in my area, I was thinking of renting a big screen hdtv, hd dvd player, then you charge admission like a coffeehouse/performance piece... A digital version of the travelling village roadshow.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Dennis,

I bought a JVC HD10 when it was brand new, and it took me about three months to break down and buy a 50" Samsung DLP HD set. I even took the camcorder down to the local BB, where they allowed me to show my footage.

I monitor my editing on a 19" Viewsonic CRT. During editing I use a smaller window, but regularly view my handiwork full screen in 1280x960 res. (for 720p full hor res). This is NOT adequate. The 50" screen shows things I did not see on the 19". It's not that the 19" doesn't show things - it's that I don't SEE things.

There is something totally different about the large high definition image! You become aware of the importance of rock-steady wide angle shots. Longer shot times become more appropriate. The Imax films available on INHD or Discovery HD can provide many examples appropriate for HDTV. In fact, I'm surprised there aren't more comments showing up about how different techniques can take advantage of a larger, sharper image.

You might find a front projector could help you evaluate your material, as well as providing a portable display.

The big screen experience is definitely DIFFERENT!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions