laptop for field edits hd100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 19th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #1
Inner Circle

laptop for field edits hd100

would this be a decent laptop for editing with vegas and cineform's connect HD for hdv?

asus a8jc

t2300 duo core 1.66 ghz
512 ddr ram 80 gig hd
dual layer dvd burner
NVIDIA Geforce 7300 256mb graphics
ieee802 infrared
10/10/1000 gigabit lan/56k modem
4:1 card reader
1.3 megpixel webcam
*free printer...( worth about 75 bucks)

(total system with tax etc is about $1500 usd)

I haven't been able to figure out the speed of the hd but can't you hook up external hd's to these things?

Related questions:

What's usually the best/most practical screen size?

What is min. screen resolution? this one is wxga.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Laptop for Editing

Brian,

Looking at the laptop you suggest I would recommend at a minimum an upgrade to at least 1Gig of RAM. The graphics card has little/no impact on editing but looking at the spec I would guess this laptop is 15". The extra screen area and resolution of a 17" is very nice to have.

I have one of the 17" Asus dual-core laptops and it is great for editing with Vegas and Cineform Connect.

Something like this:
http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddeta...ptop_A7J-R004M

Laptop internal HDD are notoriously slow and to get a custom internal setup is costly. To solve this I have hooked up an external RAID 0 array -lookup the Thecus eSATA unit (it has a USB2 port as well). 500Gigs of storage: 2 x 256Gig drives.

My home machine is AMD Dual Core X2 4400. As the Vegas project info and all media is on the drive I simply swap this between the two systems.

Regards, Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a Dell core duo T2600 at 2.13GHz Inspiron E1705..

I feel that a desktop still has more power because of the limited bandwidth laptops have. But to be quite honest, a fast HD with lots of RAM would be ideal. Make sure you have a 7200RPM based HDD. Most laptops in this range can go to 2GB.
Allen Lu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions