24F... A Riddle for the Ages at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Major Player

24F... A Riddle for the Ages

Okay... so, canon's 24F clearly looks great, but it cannot be exported back to tape and isn't supported by a lot of apps and by NO decks...

Here is a question... can 24F material, like DVX and XL2 24p, be nested into a 60i timeline without losing it's look? This would enable it to be dumped back to tape and to be accepted by more apps for post work.

Or, is it possible to convert 24F into true 24P HD? Also, will Magiuc bullet 2.1 do HDV 1080i 60i into 1080i 24P (makes no sense, I know)
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

It's not a riddle for the ages.

It can be done, people do it all the time.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Care to explain how? I have missed it in all my research. I am working in Premiere Pro 2.0

When I try it, I get horrible artifacting and motion characteristics. Do I need to do it in magic bullet? If so, how?

Also, will those 24f/60i tapes then run in any 60i HDV deck?>
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Nothing?

I am sure it is not too hard?
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Wrangler

I don't know how you yourself would do it, I'm an FCP guy. After Effects will do it, though. Decklink and Kona cards do it in real time so you can give people masters from 24p timelines. If you have a 24p timeline in DV, FCP does it real time in software so you can write to DV tape.

The proper term for what you're describing is "adding pulldown". Padding a 24p stream with duplicated fields so it adds up to 29.97. Do a search on that term and you'll prob find more info.
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Major Player

so in AE, how is best to go about it, seeing as we both know the program?

You take canon's 24F HDV files, start a composition with what frame rate? (60i, 24p?) and then do a pulldown (magic bullet? Proprietary), with 2:3 (what cadence? WWWSS?) and make it for a 23.976 timeline or a 29.97 timeline..?

Sorry ot ask so muc... trying to learn
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions