My new LaCie D2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Ben Jones

My new LaCie D2

I just brought this external hard drive and I am trying too take all the stuff i need from my Laptop PC and move it to my new Mac book pro. But after installing the driver, I can't get the drive to appear on the My Computer menu. It has installed because it appears on the device manager section, but i can't do anything with the drive from here.

When I put it into the Mac it appears on the desktop straight away so it can't be the drive.

I know the mac and pc require different formats, but i need to get the drive up in My Computer so I can format it to a PC and Mac friendly format.

Please Please Please help, I have kicked everything around the house and I'm so annoyed.

Cheers
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2
New Boot

hmmm... try turning computer on first, without having hard drive plugged into laptop, and keep hard drive powered off....

then power up hard drive, give it a sec, and plug into (firewire or USB)
on the Macbook.

that worked for me on a HD that i formatted on another computer.
Dave Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3
New Boot

G'day Ben,

You should be able format the drive as FAT32 under OS X. I can't remember the exact process, but you can use the disk utility to do it (/Applications/Utilities).

A breif warning on FAT32. While both OS X and Windows (and just about anything else) will read it happily, it does have a 4GB file size limit. So if you are planning on storing files that big (or bigger) on there, you'll need something else.
Tim Pokorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:22 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Pokorny
G'day Ben,

You should be able format the drive as FAT32 under OS X. I can't remember the exact process, but you can use the disk utility to do it (/Applications/Utilities).

A breif warning on FAT32. While both OS X and Windows (and just about anything else) will read it happily, it does have a 4GB file size limit. So if you are planning on storing files that big (or bigger) on there, you'll need something else.
Obviously you'll need to have the disk attached to your Mac and running before you can see it in the Disk Utility.

Also, I just found the following:

http://www.appleswitcher.com/viewtopic.php?t=12670

Someone there is attempting to do the same thing.
Tim Pokorny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions