NLE workflow thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NLE workflow thread

I have no idea, but is anyway to do a sticky about workflow for the JVC's Cameras??
I'm in the need to have my settings for the HD110 using PC and Mac Platforms
Premiere 1.5, FCP 5.0, Avid Media Composer 2.6, Vegas 7.0d
Can you pass this on!

Thanks

William Osorio
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

The problem is that there is no "one" ideal workflow for every system or job. Different modes require different workflows on some systems. Some people want to capture in intermediate codecs, others want to use uncompressed via PCI card, etc. The NLE companies are constantly upgrading the software compatibility as well, so information becomes obsolete very quickly.

I think it is a great idea, and I have considered creating a thread in the past. However it would probably require a html website to do it right, with drop down menus for source format and NLE.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
The problem is that there is no "one" ideal workflow for every system or job. Different modes require different workflows on some systems. Some people want to capture in intermediate codecs, others want to use uncompressed via PCI card, etc. The NLE companies are constantly upgrading the software compatibility as well, so information becomes obsolete very quickly.

I think it is a great idea, and I have considered creating a thread in the past. However it would probably require a html website to do it right, with drop down menus for source format and NLE.
I'm still perplexed as to what NLE will even function with native 720/24p from the JVC camera. Avid Xpress does not support the codec and Final Cut Pro Studio is virtually unusable when attempting to capture it.
Jon Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Springer View Post
I'm still perplexed as to what NLE will even function with native 720/24p from the JVC camera. Avid Xpress does not support the codec and Final Cut Pro Studio is virtually unusable when attempting to capture it.
Just to let you know,

I talked to a guy from JVC and he said they have a firmware update that fixes the FCP capture problem.

I have no clue if this firmware update actually works but I am going to send one of my cameras out and see what happens. He sounded pretty confident about it fixing the problem.
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Major Player

wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
How about a wiki? This would probably be functional enough with a list of links. There is a turning point when good forum information just gets so scatterred and searching just doesn't cut it.
I'd be willing to host a wiki and transcribe/paraphrase some info from here if there was a groundswell of support for the idea.
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

The offer is appreciated, Sean, but for whatever we do regarding a wiki, a FAQ, etc., we're going to host those pages right here at DV Info Net in order to keep everything under one roof. Right now we have *some* JVC Pro HD articles, located at http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/#jvcgyhd100 -- HDV Info Net is probably best described as a sister site or sub-set of DV Info, but I'm about to do away with the separate domain and go with sub-domains instead, such as hdv.dvinfo.net and prohd.dvinfo.net. Anyway that link has been the basis for our Pro HD articles section but admittedly it has been slow to grow because I don't think very many people know about it.

This is no big secret even though I haven't said anything about it yet, but sometime around NAB or shortly thereafter, DV Info Net's static-side articles section is going to improve dramatically by virtue of a much tighter integration with the message boards, and the ability for Tim and other folks to publish content directly to the site without having to go through me or some other gatekeeper. The articles will look similar to what you'll find at the link I just gave, with the ability to include properly formatted tables, images, drop-down menus, etc. directly from the upload interface. This has been a long time coming and is a pretty big step for us, and I'm sure it'll satisfy Tim and everybody else here. This particular time, just prior to NAB, is always an intensely busy one, so just hold on for a while longer and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what DV Info Net can offer in this regard. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Good news Chris!
I certainly wasn't planning to steal any of your steam here. More integrated articles with improved interaction will make a great thing even better!
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Hey everyone,

I moved this into our HD/HDV Editing Solutions, general area forum, which is more appropriate for the discussion.

Thanks,

heath
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson View Post
Just to let you know,

I talked to a guy from JVC and he said they have a firmware update that fixes the FCP capture problem.

I have no clue if this firmware update actually works but I am going to send one of my cameras out and see what happens. He sounded pretty confident about it fixing the problem.
What are you talking about? I have a 110U and the only thing that drives me nuts, is the software, or camera breaks the import up each time I had a start/stop detection. I would rather have 1 continuous imported tape.

That way I can edit via keyboard in FCP, you know cmd 1, in-out, cmd 1, in -out, etc, instead of 13 bazillion clips ini my bin.

I have resorted to importing via iMovie to keep it as one cilp, and drop that clip into FCP.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions