Need Help Designing Workflow (720p/24p HDV -> 1080i/60i HDCAM) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Need Help Designing Workflow (720p/24p HDV -> 1080i/60i HDCAM)

Hello,

My name's John. I'm new to this board.

I am planning on shooting a film in 720p/24p on a JVC GY-HD110u. I then hope to transfer the film to 1080i/60i HDCAM (as I understand this is the film festival standard.)

I realize the HDCAM transfer won't be nessessary until the film is accepted into festivals, (if it is at all) but I would like to avoid problems down the road and map out my workflow ahead of time.

What editing software should I use? (I'm a PC person.) How much can I expect to spend on the HDCAM transfer? (The film will run around 75 minutes.) Will the HDCAM tape need another round of color correction? If so, do I need to be present for that? (I live in Pittsburgh. I'll probably have to send away to a facility in some other state.)

Also, I have heard it is possible to make some sort of uncompressed .avi file, transfer it to an external hard drive and take that to a transfer house to make a HDCAM tape. What programs allow this? And what transfer houses support it?

It should be obvious by now that I do not know what I'm talking about. I'm aware of that. If there is any additional information that you feel I need to know, please share it.

Thanks.
John Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #2
New Boot

OK, that was a whole bunch of questions, I understand nobody wanting to take the time to answer all of them.

Maybe you could just give me the name of a decent transfer house? I bet they'd be able to help.
John Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm in the same boat as I want to submit to film festivals, but the one here has been stingy on even giving out their HD technical requirements. They seem to want to view your work before telling you what is needed. I was told that it is usually very expensive, but I don't see a real reason for this. They did say that the people that have done HDV-HDCAM so far have done color correction during the transfer process. I don't think this step should be necessary and that a straight duplicate from HDV should work as long as you did proper color correction and have all your levels appropriate for the HDCAM signal. I'm sure that someone around that works with both HDV and HDCAM can tell you if you need to tweak your color correction for HDCAM.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions