DVCAM HDV 1080i/50 to NTSC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Major Player

DVCAM HDV 1080i/50 to NTSC?

I have a full-size DVCAM tape containing what is labeled to be HDV footage recorded in 1080i/50. Why anyone would use a DVCAM tape for this purpose is beyond me, and really throwing a wrench in the works. I need to be able to put this into NTSC for DVD purposes. If I can get a PAL QuickTime file of the material, I could handle the transcode to NTSC here. Can anyone help?
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

1- What platform and editing software do you have?

2- HDV can use the same tape as DVCAM and mini-DV. It's all based on similar technology.

Anyways, what you need to do is to ingest your material, downconvert to SD, and then perform a standards conversion to NTSC. (You can do the standards conversion before downconverting... I think that's higher quality but may be slower.)

To ingest your material, you need a compatible VTR. I don't believe there is any one VTR that will play back all the HDV variants out there.

To do standards conversion depends on what platform you are. In FCP, it may be convenient to get Nattress' standards conversion stuff... see nattress.com
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
1- What platform and editing software do you have?
FCP 6

Quote:
2- HDV can use the same tape as DVCAM and mini-DV. It's all based on similar technology.
I understand. However, this is a large shell DVCAM tape. My JVC BR-HD50 can't play it because it's 1080i. My friend's Sony deck can't play it because it's large shell. Whomever made the dub didn't think about maximizing compatibility when they chose large shell DVCAM. I'm curious as to which HDV deck will play it back. If someone has the capability of playing something like that back, and can help me out, please let me know.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sony HVR-1500, HVR-M25U and HVR-15U will all play large and small cassettes both NTSC and PAL.
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...products.shtml

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions