Czech Republic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old September 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Tourist

Czech Republic

My husband and I will be traveling to the Czech Republic to work on a documentary. We're taking a DVX100B, two tripods and some other gear. We ordered a Dakine Sequence backpack and a Lowepro Flipside 400 that have not arrived yet. We are hoping to take most of the gear as carry-on. I've read a lot of posts about transporting tripods and still haven't decided what to do about that. Does anyone know of good places to rent/buy camera gear in Prague? or borrow for free? :-) I know how crazy that sounds.

I would like to contact one or two universities with film programs while we're there. Perhaps they have resources. Does anyone know any film students or filmmakers in Prague or the Czech Republic?

We will be staying in Prague, but traveling to the following smaller towns:
Krasne Brevno, Usti nad Labem, Lobositz, Klatovy, Plzen
It would be a great help to find someone who knows the area and is willing to provide advice. The doc contains elements from WWII and is very low budget, so I am combing the internet for information and resources that are affordable. Wish I could afford a location scout.

Also looking for WWII photos, footage, royalty free if you know of any.

I am new to this forum and not sure if all of these questions are appropriate for this thread. But I would greatly appreciate any advice that's offered.

Thanks,
Sandra
Sandra Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Many years ago (early 90s), I taught English in Czechoslovakia. I guess I know the turf pretty well, but unfortunately not from a filmmaking perspective.

There's a great WW2 monument in Plzen thanking American GIs.

WWII veterans honored in Czech city for 60th anniversary of V-E Day | Stars and Stripes

Also, check out the Pilsner Urquell beer hall in Plzen -- a few years ago, my wife and I went there one evening and were the sole Americans in a crowd of a couple hundred. It was a blast.

You might try coordinating with the American Embassy in Prague. I suspect that someone there could provide you with resources, or at least point you in the right direction.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks C.S.,
I wish I could be there during the celebration to honor veterans. It would be great to talk to some of them! I will definitely check with the American Embassy.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Prague, Pilzen and the other cities are wonderful places to go! I think that Prague is one the (if not THE) most beautiful cities on Earth. Unfortunately, the increase in tourism and thousands of stores that appeared have destroyed much of its charm (you should have seen it 2 decades ago, amazing! 100% authentic, dark & sinister gothic). Just be aware that Prague is also the auto theft capitol of Europe, so keep a watchful eye on your rental car. Most car rentals will not allow you to rent a car in nearby Germany (which is less than 2 hrs drive away) and drive to Prague, so you need to rent a car on location.
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Tourist

Yes, and we are going to be renting a car for at least part of the time. So thanks for the heads-up about auto theft.

Also my friend Bruce said that I should register my gear with customs. So I did some checking and found this:
It's called a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (Form 4457)
Based on what I have read it is not always required. However, if there is going to be any hassle, I would rather do it before the trip and not during. So we took our stuff down to the local customs office and filled out the forms. And there was no charge. If anybody is interested, here's where you can get more info on traveling abroad with gear.
U.S. Customs Form 4457: What American citizens need to know about bringing photo gear abroad
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Sandra, a couple of notes. I am sure you can find a lot of stock WWII footage at the National Film Archives. Also in Poland there is a National Film Archives: link NAC - Narodowe Archiwum Cyfrowe - Zbiory Zdigitalizowane . Poland is a very short distance from Czech Republic.
I would avoid car rental. Driving in that part of the world is not what 99% of Americans are used to. Also you are risking theft (never leave anything in your car). You can get anywhere by combination of public transit and taxi. Considering 6 bucks per gallon price tag of gasoline it might be cheaper if you are on a tight budget.
I am also curious about a topic of your documentary.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home