GPS for international travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old December 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player

GPS for international travel

Hi guys, I am looking at doing a lot of international traveling for a travel series. And I want a GPS system that will be chockful of features, radio capability, and ofcourse a precision and highly sensitive GPS device. I looked at a couple of Garmins like the Rino, etc. and no where was it clear that it'll be a device that'll work internationally... Now I know GPS is global obviously, but will this system come with the 'maps' needed for international or do I have to pay to download them,... or?

Any advice appreciated!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

yes , usually GPS do not have the memory to store all the maps from the world.
So , when you buy a GPS , it should come with your country, or continent.
Sometime there si a CD that allows you to add some countries and sometime you can download the map you need. No need to say it is not free most of time.
in europe, GPS come with the local map at hi-res, then country next to yours with general map. If you need the street map level detail, you can add them to the GPS.
Depending model, you need to load the map to memory from a PC, or can swap maps using a memory card (SD card most of the time).
Another thing is to rent a car with the GPS, so you do not need to worry about.
Or you can use a laptop with Global map, so you never need to unload, reload another map.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home