Manila, Philippines - shops for video products & accessories? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old October 20th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #1
Wrangler

Manila, Philippines - shops for video products & accessories?

Anyone recommend a shop in Manila for video products & accessories?

Notes:
As much as I enjoy the Indiana Jones environment in Quiapo, I'm wondering if there's a more professional place to go.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Michael, I use to work for a company called DSL TVS, we use to sell Broadcast equipments, etc. They are located in Makati City. I wouldnt go to Quiapo without armed bodyguards.

DSL your trusted parter for all your audio and video needs :: home
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Major Player

But I'm sure the street food in Quiapo is delicious, especially the ice cream sandwiches, or the ice cream in a bun :)
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You've got a wrong impression about Quiapo.My office is in Quiapo and gives me a lot of advantages especially on my VDSLR rigs. where in this world can you find an old school canon/nikon lens for a minimum penny? like my 50mmf1.2 for only $100 and 85mmf1.4 for $200.Only in Quiapo. You can even ask JMAG about this. Everyday I'm walking in Quiapo without a body guard.

Thanks!

Philippine Wedding Videographer Same Day Edit | A.G.Garza, Garry Garza, aggarzavideo, a.g. garza, philippine wedding videographer,wedding videographer in the philippines, wedding videography,wedding videography in the philippines, 3d photo montage, a
Quiapo,Manila
Garry Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Gary, i did'nt mean to offend you. I lived near the area (that was 8 years ago), I don't know if things have changed but in those days there were pick pockets, snatchers and rugby boys loitering in the area. Michael would stand out for sure (I assume he is not Filipino) and would be a tempting target. Having said that I know Quiapo/Raon areas are bargain places, I use to visit a Camera shop near the church (name escapes me now) and they do have good prices.
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Wrangler

Ha ha! Yes Noel I know what you mean, I usually go to the street of camera shops by the old church. Are there any other places you know of, even if it's also in Quiapo? I am half filipino and I speak Tagalog so Quiapo is not as daunting an adventure for me as it would be for a "foreigner".

Definitely would recommend anyone "foreigners" going to Quiapo bring along a trusted "local" to help with the bargaining. I wouldn't call it dangerous. But it is definitely a scene out of an Indiana Jones movie. As Gary pointed out, if you know what you're looking for, you can find some really insane "old school" deals. Just take the normal safety precautions for traveling in a heavily crowded dynamic area. Personally I always pay in cash, never risking the credit cards.

The Quiapo shop I've been using is Avenue Photo-Equipment. It's cramped and crammed to the ceiling but they stock current prosumer video and photo equipment (which is usually the first hurdle in Manila). Customer service is very ditzy, so know what you're looking for. They've told me they don't have something when it's sitting right behind their head on the display case. The korean manager/owner lady is the sharp one, always very, very helpful, and always ready to bargain. She's a little curt, but she understands the reality of customer service, she's very willing to work for you to make you happy so you will come back ... usually that's another one of the hurdles of shopping in Manila. They've been around since the 50s ... website doesn't work, but I found their about page interesting.

So not so much of a recommendation. I would still love to find a more professional video shop somewhere in Manila but as it stands right now, I'll take anything I can get.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

For your reference,here are the complete store in Quiapo that sells stuff regarding Photography and Videography.

Avenue Photo Supply
Address: 712 R. Hidalgo St., Quiapo, Manila
Tel: 733-2761, 733-5474, 734-3307
Products: Quantum, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Slik, China brand lights, Radio receivers, Bulbs, Flash bulbs, Tamron, Tiffen, Domke, Kodak, Fuji, Ilford Film, Widest range of Lighting equiptment in Hidalgo.

Fotohaus (24k)
Address: 713 R. Hidalgo St., Quiapo, Manila
Tel: 734-4471, 734-3304 to 05, 733-4565, 733-5531
Fax: 733-5528
Products: Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Kodak, Rechargeable batteries, Lamination equiptment, Film, Dry boxes

Henry's Camera & Photo Supply
Address: 310 P. Gomez St., Quiapo, Manila
Tel: 733-7723, 735-7989, 734-5099
Fax: 734-4018
E : henryscamera@yahoo.com
Products: Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Assorted Studio lighting and lots of batteries

Mayer Photo
Address: 111, 113, 115 C. Palanca St., Quiapo, Manila
Tel: 733-7598, 733-7722
Look for: Ramon Ong
Products: Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, good source for high end lenses.

Watson Photo Shop
Address: 312 P. Gomez St., Quiapo, Manila
Tel: 733-7697
Look for: Philip King Tan Tang
Products: Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Sunpak, Olympus
Garry Garza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home