New TSB Ruling regarding Airline Flights - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Shipping, stringers and rental houses work for some circumstances but not for many others. I travel to places in the developing world that, for all practical purposes, have none of those things. If they do they are unreliable, or exorbitant or both.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #17
Major Player

As of now Air Canada is advising me of no carry on aboard flights. May change after today...?????
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
When i combine the 2 rules together, it doesnt sound like you can even bring video on a airline with this second one.
TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
Due to problems with Lithium-ion and lithium batteries, they are supposed to be carried in your carry on, SO if anything should happen it would be SEEN, and dealt with, as opposed to being in a Cargo hold starting a fire that wasnt seen.

PHMSA - Home - PHMSA Press Release 11-07
The rule limits passengers to not more than two large spare rechargeable lithium-ion batteries in carry-on baggage. This applies to batteries that exceed 8 grams (~100 watt hours) of equivalent lithium content and less than 25 grams (~300 watt hours) [see attached illustration]. Batteries with more than 25 grams (~300 watt hours) are not allowed in either checked or carry-on baggage.

notes: people in the battery/flashlight forum, have gone on flights with fully professional storage methods for thier (to many) batteries , and havent had any problems with this regulation. after all the Purpose, is to maintain SAFEty.

Last edited by Marty Welk; January 4th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #19
Slash Rules!

So my publicity stuff will consist of posters (up to 100 maybe), business cards, postcards (probably 1000), and 25 DVDs in full size cases. I don't think i'm doing tshirts or anything clever like that.

So how much (would you estimate) that'd be to ship from Houston to Park City Utah (where the fest is)? I also thought there was some weight threshold which, if you were under, your first checked bag was free?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #20
Major Player

Josh, check with your airline. The rules frequently change and differ between countries, airlines, even airports.
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
So how much (would you estimate) that'd be to ship from Houston to Park City Utah (where the fest is)?
That depends entirely on the weight and size of the packed box. Take it to your local mail center (or Kinko's, Office Depot, etc. which has a Fed Ex or UPS shipping counter) and they'll tell you how much it'll cost to ship it.

Quote:
I also thought there was some weight threshold which, if you were under, your first checked bag was free?
The only airline I'm aware of that doesn't charge for checked baggage (up to two items) is SouthWest. The weight limit is 50 pounds per checked bag. For more info see Southwest Airlines - Baggage

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #22
Major Player

I flew on Dec 28 from Albuquerque to Chicago to Ottawa via American Airlines/American Eagle. I had no problems carrying my Lowepro NatureTrekker with 2 stills cameras (Canon 7D and 1Dm2) and about 5 lens (Sigma 50-500, Canon 400/5.6, so not small stuff) _and_ a laptop bag.

Even checking in and going thru security @ Albuquerque's airport only took 30mins. I was expecting much worse.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Major Player

I believe the problem is coming into the
states from other countries
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #24
Major Player

<Passengers travelling to the United States are not allowed to bring carry on bags into the cabin of the aircraft, with some exceptions. Passengers may carry with them one or more of the following items: medication or medical devices, small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, a special needs item, musical instruments, or diplomatic or consular bags.>

Should i chance getting to the AP with my EX1 in my KAta 195 bag????
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #25
Major Player

"medication or medical devices , containers carrying life sustaining items, a special needs item"
you could always try going into severe withdrawl symptoms when they suggest seperating you from your camera :-)
buy it its own ticket and window seat.
"musical instruments" Play a few chords out of it by pushing assigned buttons.
tell everyone who asks, your going to make them a "star".
"diplomatic or consular bags" Tell them your camera is going to film the Canadian Ambassidor.
Be completly nakid except for the camera covering you up, then they will know you wont be lighting your clothes or shoes on fire.
"laptop computers" Its Digital, it now HAS a computer in it, keep it on your lap.
Bring a monopod, and convince them the kit is your Crutches, and you cant walk away without it.
Say, its a Security camera.

Last edited by Pete Bauer; January 6th, 2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: religious reference removed
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #26
Major Player

lol
I have decided to take it in a Pelican case, and can ship it via TSB Accessible locked
checked luggage if i can't go thru the carry on luggage.
I will be at AP with lots of time, so if i have to go back only one pissed with me will be my wife.
I may have to stay longer to make her happy.
I will post in a few days how it all went.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

But you guys are saying tapes, dvds, anything you can think of (except film itself) is not harmed by Xrays?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
<Passengers travelling to the United States are not allowed to bring carry on bags into the cabin of the aircraft....>
The OTHER problem here for us non-Americans is that, to the best of my knowledge, the US is the only country in the world that as an in-transit passenger CONNECTING at a US airport, I NEED to go through US Immigration. NORMALLY, you remain in the International Travel Secure Area and don't need to "enter" the country. Not so in the US. When I flew Winnipeg - Toronto - Miami - Rio I "entered" the country at Miami even though I was an in-transit passenger.
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
But you guys are saying tapes, dvds, anything you can think of (except film itself) is not harmed by Xrays?
Yes. X-Ray has zero effect on digital media. It's magnetism that you have to be wary of.
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #30
Major Player

Inflight into the US.
AirCanada will allow only one carryon.
Laptop goes carryon, and EX1 in a HD case has to go checked luggage.
They would have allowed camera only, no case as the one piece of carry on, But where would i have put my laptop.....
At least we're on our way no worse for wear.
Lets hope locked Pelican case doesn't get stolen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home