Most affordable way for a film crew to travel - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I wrote the screenplay not planning on making the film myself, but rather to enter into contests and just to have something else under my belt. But now, I'm kind of just looking forward to the challenge. I did write something a little out of my budget range, but it's not a massive leap, (by that I mean it's not an action/sci-fi adventure) It's pretty subdued, and pretty manageable. Except of course for this one obstacle.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Cole.
I'd still like to know what location is aboslutely necessary. Something that ANYONE who sees your film will Immediately recognize as Marseilles? Some image that universally comes to mind whenever anyone sees it? Something iconic like Big Ben, The Eiffel Tower, The Taj Mahal? What in the world would that be? Please elaborate.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #18
Inner Circle

A pretty common method is to use local people as crew. A good DP should be able to match the shooting style of your US DP. This means that you just need the actor and yourself to travel.

This happens all the time on major feature films.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Richard,
It is not that I am necessarily looking for a specific iconic image that people will relate to Marseilles, there are just a couple locations there (I was there a year ago, and I scouted them then) that are quite integral to a lot of themes in the story. I very well could shoot somewhere else, but I feel that the story would lose a lot it's heart if I did. It's really more of a picky directorial decision than a visual necessity.

Brian,
I am hoping to using a couple good local people as crew. And luckily for me, the visual style of the scenes in France, is actually quite different from the scenes in the U.S. So I don't even have to worry about trying to recreate them.

Thanks,
Cole
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #20
Major Player

Cole, when will the shoot be?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #21
Major Player

do you really need the talent in these shots? If not then you can buy stock footage and not go at all.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Cole,
You already have permission to shoot in these locations?
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #23
Trustee

IMHO Richard's is the most important question raised so far. I have a home in France and one thing anyone planning to shoot anything outdoors in France should be aware of is that there's a popular mythology about the right people have to the copyright in their face.

I don't know what the law actually is and as far as I know there isn't an equivalent piece to Philip Bloom's piece on public/private shooting in the UK. However, anytime you lift up anything other than a compact camera be prepared to fight off rip off artists wanting money.

Rig a steadicam or put down legs and I think you'll need some permissions if the place you're in is public.

And finally remember that Marseilles has a not undeserved reputation. When they made French Connection they didn't stick a pin in a map of France to choose the place.

Finally just to add to Bryan's excellent suggestions re budget airlines, remember that all airlines but those especially don't care for baggage - seriously consider hiring your gear locally. I no longer do such jobs but for the past 10 years or more I never took anything standard away with me - always rented it on site. If you don't speak the local patois, the renter will often also be a good go-between.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #24
Major Player

Cole, just for your information. On a Dutch website I read today's news that lowcost carrier Sun Country Airlines starts flights from Minneapolis to London Stansted Airport with a fuelstop in Gander, Canada, from the 11th of May. From Stansted you have several flights every day with European lowcost carriers Easyjet (to Nice) and Ryanair (to Marseille). Check it out as it is probably your cheapest way into Marseille.

http://www.suncountry.com/programs/L...dingPage.shtml
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Cole, sometimes you have to put on your PRODUCER'S hat, and tell the DIRECTOR he can't have what he wants... it's not in the budget. Then tell the Director that you respect his creativity and you have GREAT CONFIDENCE that he will find a way to tell the SCREENWRITER to rework the scenes around what you have.

It helps if you can do this in the shower - so no one will hear you.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi Cole:

I shot a project in the South of France last year. Frankly, I don't see how one could do what you are trying to accomplish on the budget you have available. I was shooting a doc with a consumer looking camera as well and I agree, if you are going to go "official" with lights, a crew, tripods, etc. this is going to cost you a pretty penny as well as a lot of red tape. That was one surprise I took from France, I thought people would be a lot more laissez faire about shooting there as they were in the UK when I shot there.

You will definitely need your own vehicle, public transportation in the Cannes/Nice area was more crowded than Manhattan. Trying to do that with gear would be a joke.

Don't forget to factor in road tolls, they are quite expensive and really add up if you are covering large portions of the area. Fuel, last Summer, was about U.S. 5.00 per gallon for diesel. Food is what will also kill your budget. Rent a place with a kitchen and go to the supermarket, that is what we did and we ate very well for not very much money. Don't forget, the entire Cannes/Nice area is the playground of the rich, but not nearly as much so in Marseilles. Are you only shooting in Marseilles? Or all over the south?

I learned that the only ones more exacting about their permits than the French would be the Germans.

I wish you luck but it is going to be difficult to pull off.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #27
Trustee

Are these scenes the most important to your story? if not, don't let the 'directorial voice' talk. Just divide your total budget by your scenes and then figure out if these particular scenes are eating up too much of your budget, time and sanity. This exercise will let you know if you really really want to take that effort.

I'm sure with a little bit of scouting you'll find the same location and mood close by - for less than half the cost. this cost saving will also allow you to focus more on the acting and being more relaxed in production. Your sense of undertaking challenges won't be always appreciated by your cast and crew. Keep this in mind, and don't be surprised when you are left alone when the s**t hits the fan.

I would stick to the advise given above, and on my own experiences shooting in multiple locations on a budget - you'll get your backgrounds, but your foregrounds will let you down when you sit with your editor in post production.

Rewrite the script. All the best.
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone, for the info, links, and suggestions. I do appreciate it.
I will find a way to shoot without the travel if absolutely necessary, however, I do want to make the best movie possible, and if there is a way to make it work I will.

Thanks again,
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
From Stansted you have several flights every day with European lowcost carriers Easyjet (to Nice) and Ryanair (to Marseille). Check it out as it is probably your cheapest way into Marseille.
I'm not sure how much equipment you are intending to bring over, but a few words about baggage.

Firstly, airlines such as Ryanair seem to hate baggage. Or at least, they certainly charge heavily for it - you get no checked allowance at all for the basic fare, not even a small suitcase. They only allow each passenger to check in two items MAX, at a rate of £15 per item per flight, and a max weight of 15 kg per bag. Exceed the weight, and they will charge you a further £20 PER KILOGRAM for excess - so 2 20 kg bags will cost £230 per flight. See Checked Baggage Allowance and Ryanair Fees for details. By the time you take all the extras into account (checking in fee, administration fee, no meal included.....) "low cost" airlines can end up more expensive than a conventional carrier - it's how they make a profit. Be absolutely sure you take all extras into account when budgeting.

Secondly, for professional filming equipment, you should officially have a carnet to take it between the US and Europe. (An export/import document.) The question then is what constitutes "professional filming equipment". A single soft bag with small camera won't get noticed the way half a dozen flight cases (lights, tripod, sound, batteries.....) will. Just be aware of it......
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM   #30
Major Player

I don't think flying a crew to France is reasonable, if you absolutely need your actor in france, just send them and hire someone to do the shooting. Yeah you won't have direct control over what happens (you can call it and perhaps get video quickly sent in low-res) but its expensive to fly and visit another country.

Now that said I travelled (for my own enjoyment) to Europe in September and took over 5000 photos of everything. Now I'll greenscreen in those places if I need to, sure it will be a bit corny but a 10MP photo is larger than 1080p by a long shoot so people aren't going to notice unless the background isn't suppose to be static.

Sorry, I didn't visit Marseilles.

As for people in the shot = September was pretty low in tourists, plus that is what photoshop is for.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home