Argentina! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Argentina!

Hi,

anybody have any experience shooting in argentina?

Im a Canadian citizen, and wanted to travel to argentina to shoot stuff for my portfolio since the opportunity has recently come about. I was just wondering if there was anything i should be aware of. I and a friend will be bringing two canon 5ds, tripods, shoulder mount rigs, merlin, etc (havent fully decided). The equipment as a whole will appear to be quite a professional production. will there be any issues going into argentina with all the gear?

Also we may or may not (depending on the legal proceedings) do a project for a company in argentina on short notice. what would we legally have to do to do a project there if we decided to do so?
Josh Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Josh,

I do have experience shooting in Argentina... because I live in Buenos Aires!

I don't precisely know, but I guess you should have your customs register your gear so you don't have any problems when you arrive.

Where are you going? Buenos Aires?

In Buenos Aires, you should basically be aware of getting your stuff stolen, specially because you say it looks professional. I can give you some guidelines... but... actually... it isn't REALLY safe anywhere. And if you carry a lot of stuff, then your getting snatched risk is very high. Snatchers are everywhere. So you shouldn't look like a fisherman with his fisherman's jacket and thousands of things hanging ready to be stolen. If you have 3 bags you are a very easy target. My advice, travel light, don't bring any shiny stuff - and get your gear a good insurance.

I guess the safest neighbourhood is Puerto Madero, followed by Palermo, Belgrano, maybe Recoleta. Downtown there's a lot of movement, it *should* be safe but there are snatchers anyway. Subway! Don't get snatched in the subway!

If you want to give me a hint of what you want to get I'll try to help you.

About working regulations you should contact the embassy...

About permits - we have this thing, called Buenos Aires Set, in theory you have to pay an annual fee to be able to film anywhere in Buenos Aires - using only a shoulder mount at the most. If you want to get down a tripod, in theory, you have to schedule your shooting and pay another fee (?)... ... ... I'm informing you about the "legal procedure", but nobody does that here. Not even my film school had the permit. And when I was about to get it, the fee was too high, there were some bureaucratic complications, and you even had to had an insurance policy in case you hit someone in the street with your gear (?). I told them hey, I'm a zero budget filmmaker, I just want to get my camera and film. I'm not a big production company. Their response was "ummmm... i don't know", whatever.

Contact me if you need anything while you are here...
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I visited Buenos Aires last year (loved it!) and shot a lot of video. I will just echo what Ivan has already said.

We stayed in La Recoleta but visited many parts of the city.

Since we were concerned about theft, I left my Sony EX1 at home, and instead took a couple of Canon HV20s. I also brought a full size Miller fluid head tripod, a small light, some microphones and accessories. No problems with customs.

When on the street, I kept the camera close. I never felt threatened by snatchers. But we did see a lady's purse get snatched by two young teens, who commited the crime in broad daylight!

We were never questioned by police (seeking permits, etc.). If you go stealth and look like a tourist, you may avoid some of these headaches.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home