Clearing customs and the EX1/R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Clearing customs and the EX1/R

I've only traveled a few times where it was necessary to go through customs with a large camera. Once I had some explaining to do and other times no one seemed to care. Now that I have a smaller EX1R I'm wondering what experiences forum members have had clearing customs with the camera and if it is viewed as an oversized consumer camera that no one cares about or if it viewed as a larger production camera that attracts the attention of the authorities?

Dan
Daniel Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Larson View Post
I've only traveled a few times where it was necessary to go through customs with a large camera. Once I had some explaining to do and other times no one seemed to care. Now that I have a smaller EX1R I'm wondering what experiences forum members have had clearing customs with the camera and if it is viewed as an oversized consumer camera that no one cares about or if it viewed as a larger production camera that attracts the attention of the authorities?
This camera is "God sent" for travels... I took it numerous times to almost all continents and NEVER had an issue with customs. Important thing (for me) is to strip it down to bare minimum and put it in LowePro back pack with few other "essentials" and the rest of the gadgets in separate bags (kinda "out of sight, out of mind"...). Last winter I was entering India on Delhi airport wit a few big Pelicans (for support things, including 2 tripods and Steadicam) and I was stopped and sent to "second check out", but when I explained that I am a professional "on vacation" with my small camera, I was let go. EX1 helped a lot!
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For those based in the UK in particular, make sure you carry with you proof of purchase in the form of the VAT (Value Added Tax) invoice or other tax receipt to show customs your gear was purchased in your country of origin. This particularly applies if you get pulled to one side by customs on your return.

You can also get your invoice/receipt validated at the airport prior to your departure if needs be. But beware entering some countries when on vacation with your gear and have a visitors Visa, you could be suspected of been in the country on business or to work and not as a visitor.

It might be worth contacting the country's embassy whose country you are visiting just to establish a paper trail otherwise, in the extreme, you could find yourself turned around at immigration. As a UK passport holder in my experience, USA, Canada and Australia are quite keen on these small details IMHO.

I use to be Platinum Medallion and its equivalent on both Delta and KLM, so I've come across most on my travels.

Common sense and fore thought should apply at all times.

Last edited by Claire Buckley; December 22nd, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo
Claire Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had to go to The Netherlands to shoot some medical work about orthopedics a few years ago. I forgot to do the required paperwork for all my gear before leaving the US. When returning a week later, I had no idea what was going to happen when I went through US customs. The customs agent asked me about all my gear. I said I was a medical photographer. He asked what kind of things I shot. I told him I shot infectous diseases. He never said another word. Just stamped my passport and waived me through.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: Clearing customs and the EX1/R

@Daniel: How did it go? What countries did you travel to?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

nevermind.

Last edited by Les Wilson; June 30th, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

May I RESPECTFULLY point out that this is a REAL NAMES board and while NO ONE HERE would EVER think about doing something illegal around immigration, at home or abroad, that perhaps open discussion of ways one COULD thwart immigration procedures might not be in one's best interest if planning on traveling again...

DVInfo returns most of my top hits on Google when vanity searching my name. Not sure I'd want to have to explain to an immigration officer how I had entered his/her country under false pretenses...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home