Air plane travel and equipment - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Air plane travel and equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I think the only trip that a starter pistol will get you is a trip to jail. To the best of my knowledge NO pistols of anykind are allowed thru TSA with the exception of law enforcement and then only if they are traveling on the job and then it is my understanding that it must be unloaded and in a locked gun case in the bag. That is unless you are a federal air marshal of course.
It's for _checked_ luggage, not carry on. Hunters fly with their guns all the time.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Yep, you are correct! Checked bags only and then you need to declare it. Also ammo must be packed seperately at least according to a couple of guys I know that take their guns when they fly.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #33
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I think the only trip that a starter pistol will get you is a trip to jail. To the best of my knowledge NO pistols of anykind are allowed thru TSA with the exception of law enforcement and then only if they are traveling on the job and then it is my understanding that it must be unloaded and in a locked gun case in the bag. That is unless you are a federal air marshal of course.
Something I actually do know on a topic....

As this pertains to law enforcement officers it is partially correct. If you qualify, e.g. must carry armed at all times. FBI, HSI (Homeland Security Investigations for simplicity), DEA, ATF FAMS (Federal Air Marshals) etc... You carry a loaded firearm on your person. In fact the policy states that it will not be in a bag or container it must be on the agent/officer. Some officers not considered on duty (Border Patrol/Customs and Border Protection Officers/local police officers) are not supposed to carry on the plane. In any event, the captain of the airplane can deny any LEO from carrying armed.

An unloaded firearm would defeat the purpose of carrying the firearm on the plane in the first place. The reason LEO's carry on the plane is to prevent passengers from taking control of the plane.

MY EXPERIENCE FROM LAST WEEK BELOW:

That being said i just completed a job in Florida. I wanted to carry the cam on the plane. Bought a Pelican 1510 only to find that it was entirely too small for my Panny AC130. I wasn't throwing the cam in an unpadded bag. So I ended up buying a larger Pelican case.. It's called a shipping crate. I actually bought the storm version which is water resistant. It's the size of a large checked bag. I purchased TSA approved locks for the container packed the 130, GH2's, COMER 1800, Rode, extra lens, recorder, 10 extra batteries, SD Cards, cables and everything into the case. I had them mark the container as fragile.. it took about 10 yards of tape.

While I only flew from TX to Florida I changed planes twice. Not a single problem going or coming back. I will say this to the naysayers on checking the camera(s) in.... They tell you up front that they will not pay for damaged items. If it is lost they will replace but if it is damaged you are on your own. My .02 if you do check the gear make certain you buy a large enough case and pack it correctly. Take all of the attachements off the camera and pack them individually. I am anal about everything so everything had its place. I put my SD cards in ziploc bags. Tools in a seperate place. If you don't allow for enough cusion that's when you get into trouble. I had no problem.

Then again I defer to the folks who have been doing this for a living. I have been doing it a year. Sooooo again just my .02
Darryl White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Mark, great job fitting your items in the 1510, the heavy weight is closest to the case hinges, so when the case is standing up,
the weight is at the bottom. I've seen the opposite where the 1510 can easily fall over.

How did you cut your pick 'n pluck foam?
Allan,
Sorry for the late reply. I used Craftsman Foam Drawer Organizers, Model #65417. Easy to layout a design and cut. You then peel off the adhesive paper and build up layers of foam. This type hasn't disintegrated and made a problem getting into my equipment.

Craftsman Foam Drawer Organizers - Tools - Tool Storage - Tools Storage Accessories

The kit comes with two sheets of paper-adhesive backed foam (1/2" thick I think) and a special knife.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Thanks Mark, great job.

Informative first post Darryl. The Pelican 1510 is an interesting case, no pun.

It's listed as carry-on, but if you load one up, it's well over the carryon weight of many airlines.
And as av gas prices go up, limits are coming down.

Before anyone buys a 1510, check everything .. loaded weight, your carriers limits etc.

Cheers.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:29 AM   #36
Major Player

That's why I put a couple TSA locks in the case. If the airline weighs it, it will go as checked baggage and I throw the locks on. It's gone checked 3 times now, but only once because they weighed it, the other two times it was (gulp) voluntary.

I have flown Thai airways, Delta, United, JAL without having it weighed. Philippine Airlines weighed it and I had to pay extra and send it through checked.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home