Any tips for filming in Moldova, Kenya, and Zambia?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Any tips for filming in Moldova, Kenya, and Zambia??

I'm touring in Chisinau (Moldova), Nairobi (Kenya) and Lusaka (Zambia) with EX1R and 5D mark II. I like to shoot b-roll on these kinds of trips. Any tips for interesting public places/vistas/venues to film that show the people and character of these locations? I'm fine on the equipment and "be polite" aspects of filming as a foreigner. I'm more interested in tips for good locations, cultural pitfalls and generally how these peoples take to filming in public places. TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Any tips for filming in Moldova, Kenya, and Zambia??

I don't really know what to film in Moldova, but be double cautious there and don't leave anything in the hotel room, I visited Chisinau about 20 years ago, that time it was very criminal place;
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Major Player

You wont be short of things to film in Kenya and Zambia. If you get the chance in Nairobi, get down to Kibera - all of human life can be found there. I'd recommend taking security with you, even if it is just someone to watch your back.The locals are generally fine being filmed. Though you can get a few suspicious looks. Just be prepared to move on quickly if you meet a little confrontation.

You can see a few shots from Kibera and elsewhere in Kenya in this montage I shot last year:

http://www.liamhall.net/DSLR.mov
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've filmed in Chisinau. I was using a Sony HD handycam that was discrete enough to tuck inside my coat. But we still attracted the attention of local police.

So, my first reaction is that in Moldova you should be prepared to deal with police & military - especially if you are wielding an EX1. We had more negative issues from police than we did from citizenry. For example, one member of the military police approached and ultimately wanted us to "buy him a beer" -- in other words, give him some cash -- as a little bribe. We always carried a little extra cash, just in case.

If you want to go to a really interesting part of Moldova, you might try arranging a trip into Transdniestria -- there are still statues of Stalin, etc. on display in Tiraspol. Note that Transdniestria is not a formally recognized country, so the border situation is a little dicey. I was with a buddy from the US Embassy (car with diplomatic plates, etc.), so we were able to visit some of these places with peace of mind.
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Are there some laws about filming that the military/police get involved? Did you have this incident before or after the 2009 revolution?
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

This was our experience in Moldova. Citizens were guarded in public (few displays of emotion), more engaging in private. We quickly learned to avoid police when possible. Ironically, we "feared" police encounters more than anything else.

I don't think it's a legal issue, but more of a cultural one. The police are basically watching for unusual behavior, so you can try to blend in. But if they see Westerners toting expensive camcorders, they may think "money." When we visited they had no cultural hesitation to engage in a little shakedown of the tourists. In our case, it amounted to a few bucks per person. So it wasn't some outrageous amount, but it was unsettling. This happened in 2006.
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
This was our experience in Moldova. Citizens were guarded in public (few displays of emotion), more engaging in private. We quickly learned to avoid police when possible. ... This happened in 2006.
FOLLOWUP:
I asked every Moldovan I interviewed and things have improved gradually since the 2009 unrest that got the communists out of power. This still is from clip in front of one of the government buildings in the capital city of Chisinau. The young man was explaining how the monument has been taken of over to commemorate the death of one the protesters. The women is the translator. You can't see it but there is a policeman behind the young man. I'm there with my EX1 strapped to my chest via a harness not unlike soldiers wear M-16 rifles plus a 5DM2 in a Thinktank holster.

While they looked me over a couple times, this scene went without a hitch. But I greatly appreciated the heads up. My hosts assured me it was OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Any tips for filming in Moldova, Kenya, and Zambia??-memorial2.jpg  
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #8
Major Player

I've shot in Chisinau three times this year. Things are much better. I always use camera on sticks (jvc gy hm 700+ sachtler 8). I have filmed all over the city. In a total of six shooting days I was asked only once by a policeman what is the channel I am working for. To overpass this encounters on the fly I advice to have a fixer with you or someoane who speaks local language.
Good luck,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
FOLLOWUP:
I asked every Moldovan I interviewed and things have improved gradually since the 2009 unrest that got the communists out of power.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that your trip went well and that things are improving in Moldova. Despite our occasional "issues" with the police, we had a wonderful time there. I brought home a couple of bottles of 25-year old Moldovan wine purchased at a spectacular price - probably the best wine bargain I've enjoyed in my life. Now I want to go back. It would be fascinating to contrast the experience before and after the 2009 uprising.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home