First out of state shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old August 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First out of state shoot

Hey gang,

Well, I may have just lined up my first out of state shoot. Planning on shooting in Austin, Texas.

So my question is, what gear do you take with you, and what gear do you rent on location?

Will be shooting interviews and broll, 2 cameras, me and one other person traveling.

I'm thinking about taking everything except lights (cameras, sticks, audio, misc.) with me and then renting the lights in Austin. Sound good? How do you handle the gear situation when you travel?
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: First out of state shoot

In Austin, you've got plenty of resources. You can rent whatever you need from Omega Broadcast, GEAR and Texas Media Systems. I'd rent your lights and sticks to make travel easier.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

In addition to what Stephen said, to your question about handling the gear, there are many threads here on that topic so no need to go into the details. Basically, you carry on your cameras and use Pelican, SKB or <insert your favorite hard case> with TSA locks for the rest. Also, make sure you're up to speed on the restrictions for the type of batteries you use. Certain types cannot go in checked bags.

If you've never been to Austin, be prepared for allergies and take chapstick. The need for both usually hits me after 48 hours there. YMMV.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of renting sticks, but that's not a bad idea, as they're not the easiest to travel with.

I've found a few rental facilities via the Austin Film Commission, any thoughts on the best place to get a basic (3-4 light) tungsten kit?
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I always rent from GEAR, located off MLK drive downtown I believe. They're great, never had any problems with them. I think they've got some standard light kits for rent for like $50.

For standard interviews and b-roll, it doesn't sound like you're gonna need much, other than the standard camera, tripod, mics, and lighting. You could travel easily with most, but probably want to rent the lighting on location.
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Major Player

I've travelled from coast to coast to coast to shoot -- and I've always brought my own gear. Two people can manage a lot of gear. Back in the day (say mid-nineties) it might have taken four people to wrangle enough gear to sustain a shoot, but today's equipment is smaller, lighter and frankly better packed ... but as a guy that has made his career from roadwork, I wouldn't rent on location if I could do otherwise.

I have nothing against rental houses, and use them often. But I always rent at home and carry their gear with me on my travels. If you're travelling anyway, tossing in a couple of bills for oversize baggage or whatever the airline wants to call it seems a small price to pay.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home