New Studio Plan. Brainstorming. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old February 15th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

New Studio Plan. Brainstorming.

Well, I want a set studio. Essentially something that is around 800 to 1000 square feet. I want a photo/video/audio studio all in one.

So after researching many different approaches; moving to find basement, home addition, store front, sunroom (extra large), I'm leaning towards one of these fully insulated, electric heat/air etc. Prefabricated Steel Buildings and Metal Storage Buildings by Cavalier Buildings, IN, OK, MO, KS, TN, TX, VA There is a lot of variety etc.

Still brainstorming.
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: New Studio Plan. Brainstorming.

Great topic... moved to our studio forum, Home Away From Home.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris........
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Of the styles they show on the home page, the "Rigid Frame Building" looks the best, esthetically.

However, one of the downsides to this type of metal building construction is the interior finish. The trusses impinge on the interior and make it difficult to easily have a continuous wall. Maybe with only a 1,000 sf that wouldn't be a problem because it could be only one bay, but each bay will have a truss and the finished wall will have to work around it.

With industrial type interior finishes (look at Costco for retail) this isn't as much of a problem because they just put the insulation behind plastic sheeting and they're done with it. A gypsum wallboard isn't nearly as easy, and, to have a smooth one you loose a lot of footage.

Building supply, auto parts, body shops, fairgrounds buildings, etc often use these types of structures.

We had a 5,000 sf building and compared construction types for a retail building and went with block exterior and furred out in the interior with studs and insulation capped off with gypsum wallboard. Running plumbing, cabling for electrical, data, and phone was easy and straightforward. The block exterior was unfinished (no paint) but sealed.

The slab foundation will need to be insulated around the perimeter regardless of the building type. Block construction is weather dependent while metal not so much so. Stick-built is probably the easiest to modify later in life, block next, and metal the hardest.

Finding water leaks in a metal roof with insulation can be challenging but so can built-up roofs, but easier to repair.

P.S.: Doesn't Chris ever sleep?

Last edited by John Nantz; February 16th, 2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added a P.S.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Give some thought to sound insulating properties of the materials you use. There are sound absorbing wall board materials but they have to be installed in a manner that the infrastructure doesn't transmit sound. A suspended ceiling can help with audio from the roof area - the batting often used to insulate the roof isn't quite enough to mitigate external noise. Metal truss buildings are sometimes subject to creaking from pressure differentials (wind). If you have a high roof give consideration to some type of support system for lights. Also make sure you allow for plenty of power including outlets in high locations (e.g. for security cameras). Also give consideration to the IT infrastructure and network wiring requirements, e.g. a ventilated room for computers, LV wiring throughout the facility, etc.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jim's comment is really important - I've built quite a few now, and all the time, effort and money spent on the walls can be wrecked if you can't have the same performance material design on the ceiling - and frankly that is far, far more difficult that walls.

You also have the other problem of supporting the weight of a decent sound treatment ceiling. We have the same types of prefabricated buildings here in the UK, and building a stud work timber wall structure with excellent performance is not that complicated - but a 30 foot span of ceiling needs serious support from above, and those lightweight building probably have nowhere near the capacity - so you're looking at proper rolled steel supports - meaning much more expense. You could get away with 10x2" timber joists if the room is no more than 18-20ft or so in width - but above this, it's really metal. If you have the luxury of steel, then you can cut sheet material to lay between the I beams - but again, you'll probably need extra timber bracing to do 8ft spans. Mind you, these I beams can also support your lighting system, but you're now outside the usual real of build it yourself.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Trustee

For heavy roof or ceiling loads when dimension lumber starts to get expensive a very good alternative is a wood I-beam like "Trus Joist". These are light-weight for the length and load so even up to quite large spans they can be handled with one or two workers - no crane required.

A 25-foot Trus Joist is easily handled with one person, even with a fairly good snow load.

Trus Joist link: Weyerhaeuser :: Trus Joist
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Trustee

Also agree with Jim M on the sound insulation. In addition to that be mindful of HVAC placement with regards to noisy vent, (and/or provide a means to shut down/regulate the fans to limit noise during recording).

You might also consider adding a dedicated sound booth, and a secure, lockable cage for all your gear, (Google security cages and/or wire partitions).

These were issues that I encountered at my last employer, where I had to convert a large classroom into studio space inside a common office area near the training department. I had to deal with both noisy and nosy neighbor's alike.
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Well so far.... I'm looking at a wood built 20x24 building with vaulted ceiling and 9 foot walls, no windows, but two doors. I'm thinking I'll have one long white wall for shooting, paint one of the walls partially black for shooting and have a partially painted green screen wall. All of this on a nice baby slick cement floor with throw rugs.

That's my thinking so far.
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

So I think this is the plan. It'll have 13'' cathedral ceilings inside. Six foot closet, two doors. The large square represents 10 feet out from the wall for backdrops and such.
Attached Thumbnails
New Studio Plan.  Brainstorming.-studio.jpg  
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Trustee

Budget a LOT for sound treatment.
Parallel walls, boxy rooms or anything close to a square shapes are about the worst audio situation possible when it comes to standing waves or phase cancelations.

Just sayin.
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Budget a LOT for sound treatment.
Parallel walls, boxy rooms or anything close to a square shapes are about the worst audio situation possible when it comes to standing waves or phase cancelations.

Just sayin.
Yeah, I'm hoping to find some large studio going out of business..
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Well, the cement is layed. If you'd like to follow it, my facebook is https://www.facebook.com/DroptoDesignStudios?ref=hl

I've been doing a stopmotion with my d800, going to make a build movie out of it.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Well, the studio is finally built! Here's the little promo video I did for it.

Studio Time Lapse

We ended up with mostly what I wanted, which was a high ceiling, custom lighting/wiring.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Looks like the building turned out well. Any photos of the inside?
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home