HD110 as carry on luggage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM   #1
New Boot

HD110 as carry on luggage

I am considering purchasing this camera for travel and documentary work. My usual carrier, Air Canada, has a 22 lb weight restriction, and the following maximum carry-on baggage dimensions for 1 item:

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
or, 9" x 15.5" x 21.5"

If the lens is removed from the camera, could the lens and body be placed into a bag whose size and weight would meet these size restrictions? I don't want to even consider placing a camera in checked luggage, although at some future time this may become an unfortunate reality for most people.
George Huczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi George,

You could in theory, but don't get me started with airlines...

My advice is get a Peli case or similar and shove it in the hold with a big yellow and black sticker on it marked "fragile". The camera is more than robust enough to take it. That's what I do and I fly a lot. The other thing is to always have a phone number of someone at your destination where you can hire back-up equipment from should things go pair-shaped.

Just my 10p worth, I'm sure others will have a different view.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Liam,

What size pelican are you using and do you pack it with the lens on or off? Thanks.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Huczek
I am considering purchasing this camera for travel and documentary work. My usual carrier, Air Canada, has a 22 lb weight restriction, and the following maximum carry-on baggage dimensions for 1 item:

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
or, 9" x 15.5" x 21.5"

If the lens is removed from the camera, could the lens and body be placed into a bag whose size and weight would meet these size restrictions? I don't want to even consider placing a camera in checked luggage, although at some future time this may become an unfortunate reality for most people.
I would NEVER check the camera!! I travel a lot, and it does not matter how many fragile notices you put on the case, they will throw it around, it is about speed not care when it comes to checked bags. I always take the camera on the plane wrap it in some blankets and put it in the above storage with my other carry-on bag.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall
Hi George,

You could in theory, but don't get me started with airlines...

My advice is get a Peli case or similar and shove it in the hold with a big yellow and black sticker on it marked "fragile". The camera is more than robust enough to take it. That's what I do and I fly a lot. The other thing is to always have a phone number of someone at your destination where you can hire back-up equipment from should things go pair-shaped.

Just my 10p worth, I'm sure others will have a different view.
It has been a pretty standard practise with the Betacam type cameras just to carry them on as hand baggage with a battery fitted to power them up if requested by security.

They're not in a box, although quite a few have a Portabrace cover fitted, which does offer some protection. Usually they're just placed on the floor between your feet.

If you're sending a larger camera in the hold, it's recommended that you ship with the lens removed from the camera. There's a large shearing force on the lens mount when the cases get dropped etc. by the ever so careful baggage handlers.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't think it's a big deal checking the case, but it needs to be the right case, lens removed, and well fitting. For a pelican it would need to be foamed out just right. I fly all the time and if you think the baggage people treat the bags rough, just watch people put their carry-ons up in the overhead bin sometime. It's no gentler up top than it is down below. It's worse if your camera is in a soft case and someone throws up their carry on luggage and it slams into your camera case.

Security is becoming more and more strict about what can go on the plane and it's easier to just buy a pelican and check the bag. Flying isn't what it used to be.

Ben
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

With the lens removed, the camera would fit your dimensions.

I've traveled all over with the camera checked (including S. America and even the Arctic), and it has survived. It was in a form fitted Pelican 1650. However, I once had it checked in a less form fitted box, and it arrived at the shoot with a busted tape loading mechanism. So, you do have to be careful.

But when broken down, it is a very small camera.
Jason Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
Liam,

What size pelican are you using and do you pack it with the lens on or off? Thanks.

Ben
Hi Ben,
I use a Peli 1610, with foam cut outs. The lens stays on, though this may change. (definitely will be coming off)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
I would NEVER check the camera!! I travel a lot, and it does not matter how many fragile notices you put on the case, they will throw it around, it is about speed not care when it comes to checked bags. I always take the camera on the plane wrap it in some blankets
Carl,
Until last year I was firmly in your camp, but since I got the Peli case I'm a changed man. I've carried on film cameras as well as video cameras of all types. I've wrapped them, snuggled them and kissed them goodnight on long-haul. Damn things get better treatment than the me. But at the end of the day it's a camera. Yes they'll throw it around. That's why I paid for a good case.

Quote:
and put it in the above storage with my other carry-on bag.
Well I don't know who you've been flying with, it may well be different in the states, but I take a lot of international flights as well as internal flights within the UK and ever since people started using planes as missiles I've only been allowed to take one bag on as hand luggage and I like to have something useful in there like a book or an ipod. I've even been stopped from carrying it on.

True, they'll usually let you carry it on, but they won't let you hold it during take off or landing, which is after all, when the damn thing rattles around the most.

Don't forget they sent it from Japan in the first place.

Now that's my 20p worth...
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Please please please do not check in you camera. If the baggage guys don't bounce it off the tarmac, use it as poker table, there's still a reasonable chance it won't end up where you end up. Misplaced, stolen, mixed up somewhere. get a shoulder strap, carry it onboard and stake out your turf in an overhead and do your best to cushion it. And baby sit your baby, don't let the little old lady from Pasadena try and stuff her sewing machine in YOUR overhead!

It also helps to inflate the price, I usually tell people it's a $40,000 camera.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Please please please do not check in you camera. If the baggage guys don't bounce it off the tarmac, use it as poker table, there's still a reasonable chance it won't end up where you end up. Misplaced, stolen, mixed up somewhere. get a shoulder strap, carry it onboard and stake out your turf in an overhead and do your best to cushion it. And baby sit your baby, don't let the little old lady from Pasadena try and stuff her sewing machine in YOUR overhead!

It also helps to inflate the price, I usually tell people it's a $40,000 camera.
I hear you Brian, but I've had several instances when they simply wouldn't let me on with my camera, probably because I look a bit dodgy. At least now I know it's reasonbly safe in a peli case and if I hit some major turbalance, like I did last year - causing a six month-old baby to throw-up all over me - I'll know it's probably better off in the hold and it wont have duty-free whisky smash into it or Tobelrone stuck on it when I take it out of the overhead.

Mind you I could pose with it in the vein hope that I could do a Ralph Fiennes with one of the stewardesses. Actually anyone fancy a used Peli...
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Carl,
Until last year I was firmly in your camp, but since I got the Peli case I'm a changed man. I've carried on film cameras as well as video cameras of all types. I've wrapped them, snuggled them and kissed them goodnight on long-haul. Damn things get better treatment than the me. But at the end of the day it's a camera. Yes they'll throw it around. That's why I paid for a good case.

Well it could get lost, or sent somewhere else by mistake. It is not worth the risk in my opinion.

Well I don't know who you've been flying with, it may well be different in the states, but I take a lot of international flights as well as internal flights within the UK and ever since people started using planes as missiles I've only been allowed to take one bag on as hand luggage and I like to have something useful in there like a book or an ipod. I've even been stopped from carrying it on.

True, they'll usually let you carry it on, but they won't let you hold it during take off or landing, which is after all, when the damn thing rattles around the most.

Well of course they are not going to let you hold it, that is why I said put it in the overhead bin, and wrap it up with some airline blankets. Secondly, I travel internationally as well, and never had a problem carrying the camera and a small wheeled bag, 2 total.

Don't forget they sent it from Japan in the first place.

Freight is not quite the same as checked baggage. Plus, I own the camera Now, if it gets lost, I'm F#@*ed. JVC loses freight from Japan, they ship some more. Get it?
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Freight is not quite the same as checked baggage. Plus, I own the camera Now, if it gets lost, I'm F#@*ed. JVC loses freight from Japan, they ship some more. Get it?
Carl,

You might carry your camera on to a 1000 planes and never have a problem and I know, that's the preferred method of most people. Fine.

I have been f***ed by several airlines.

I choose a different route. Also fine.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #13
Major Player

Liam,

Thanks for the info. I figured I'd be going with a 16xx but I wasn't sure which would work. I like to keep it as small as possible but with adequate padding.

Carl,

Cameras get shipped on airlines all across the country and all over the world everyday and they arrive just fine. I'm a multi-year platinum frequent flyer with american airlines (that means at least 60 thousand miles a year) and never in my years of travel have they totally lost any of my luggage or cases. They've been re-routed, delivered two days later, and come on the next flight, but it always arrives.

Again, the camera is much safer in the cargo hold in a pelican or specail hard case than it is in the overhead or under your seat. Whether you trust the airlines or not you can't argue with their record. If you have a shoot the day after you land and the camera didn't make the connection, you work around it. Life goes on andclients understand that. But the camera will arrive at some point.

But no worries, everyone has a prefrence and taking care of the gear, no matter which way, is what matters.

Ben
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #14
Wrangler

I always carry the camera with the thought that no matter what else gets lost, broken, or stolen, as long as I have a camera and a mic, I can pull something out of the fire and salvage the gig.

Hasn't happened to me yet, but it only takes a few stories to change your mind.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM   #15
Major Player

Let me chime in here.

I travel all over the world with a Sony Z1. This is for my work.

I also own an HD100 with a Petrol bag that is carry on size.

I NEVER check my camera. Luggage does get lost and the places I go to, I don't count on it showing up.

I used to travel with a Sony DSR-570 2/3" camera. I would keep it out of a case and then carry it on the plane. No one ever bothered me at all. One time I flew with a Sony 700a HDCAM in a Portbrace case that was over the carry on limit. I was on a Delta flight to Peru and had no status on the airline. I went up to the counter before boarding and explained that I had a $100,000 camera in the bag that I needed to keep safe and asked to board early and find a safe place to put it. They very kindly let me on board to talk to a stewardess and find a safe place for it.

I will always carry my camera on board. Also try to board early to find a good spot to put it in. I also sit in aisle seats so I can "protect" my camera from people who want to cram their bags in my overhead bin. I am also 6'5" and 250 lbs. so no one questions me when I politely ask them to be careful around my camera. People are nice about it most of the time. I only have problems with people who never travel that often.

Long story short, keep you camera with you at all times!!!

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home