DIY Jib. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old August 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Major Player

DIY Jib.

I've just completed my first camera jib recently. It had it's first official job a couple of weeks ago with a live band at a corporate gig. The overhead shots while the drummer did his solo were amazing versus what I could've done hand-held or on sticks.
I made this jib for approx $300 New Zealand dollars.
I decided to use freestyle BMX forks and head and front axle for the main pivotal area. The stand is a 40kg rated speaker stand. I used nylon washers on all moving parts and put metal bushes on the moving load carrying bolts that are going through the alluminium as the metal threads on the bolts would eat the alluminium.
It breaks down quickly into three parts... jib arm, stand and BMX head.
I'm just using a cheap 7" LCD monitor and rechargable 12 volt battery. It isn't high resolution but is adequate for framing.
The parallelogram is adjustable with the little side brace thingy.
I want to develop my jib further with a head that rotates left to right. I will do this using two bike cables.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Jib.-1.jpg   DIY Jib.-2.jpg  

DIY Jib.-3.jpg   DIY Jib.-4.jpg  

DIY Jib.-5.jpg   DIY Jib.-6.jpg  

Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Dennis, I just built one a month or so back for my HV20 using a aluminum tubing and a caster for the pivot. I hand looked at bicycle forks before. Cool to see that idea in use..

Go to this post to see one I made:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...848#post708848
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Cool. It's amazing how effective a simple thing like a jib is. Those shots from above/underneath etc with the smoothness add a fantastic dimension to the filming process. I didn't realise how dramatic it would be.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms