Tripod for Crane AND Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Tripod for Crane AND Camera

I was gonig to buy a Bogen 516 head for my feature. Big, sturdy, can handle good weight. Probably 3193 legs too because those are recommended by most (and kessler crane). Reason im asking is I was going to buy the 516 but I realized the fact that the tripod might be so heavy duty that it owuld be difficult to do normal tripod moves with ONLY my Canon A1 on it.

I need something steady and its certainly that, but I dont want it so sturdy I can use the damn thing with my camera on it alone.

- Kyle
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the 561 head and 3058 tripod that I use with my jvc5100 and also my xl2. IT goes up to 12 feet high if i remember. not to heavy for a lighter camera, I also have the I also have the 501 head. both are good.

kenneth johnson

Last edited by Kenneth Johnson; November 19th, 2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling mistake 516 not 561
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Kyle...........

The Bogen / Manfrotto 516 head has a fixed balance spring rated @ 16.5lbs.

A Canon A1 is a very low COG 5lbs - ish. Parked on a 516 it's going to be like wrestling with a full grown alligator at anything other than dead level.

By which I mean - at any degree of tilt down or up, you're either going to have to hang on to that pan bar for dear life or lock the tilt completely. As such that head is a complete waste of time and money under an A1.

Better to go for the 519 if you can spring the bread for it, it does at least have fully adjustable counterbalance controls (with 1 spring change) from 2 lbs up to 22 lbs.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Trustee

i have the 516 Manfrotto for my crane too. I swop it with a Vinten Pro 6 for my FX1. The 516 doesnt go as fluid as the Vinten for the FX1.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms