Can the 501HDV take on a crane? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old December 8th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Trustee

Can the 501HDV take on a crane?

I was looking into some jib/crane footage and I just felt in love with this tool. I was wondering if the Manfrotto 501HDV could support a crane? On their website it says it can only handle up to 13.2 lbs...which doesn't sound like much to me...considering a crane/jib will probably weight like 15lbs, plus a Canon Xh-A1 with accessories (maybe a heavy wide angle) and we'll probably be talking about 20lbs. Did anybody actually try this with good results? Is there any particular crane that would be more suitable for this situation? Maybe a lighter crane?

thanks
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Don't forget to add the weight of the balancing weights added to the back of the jib.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Rafael.........

I am not aware of any crane on the market that, with counterweights, camera etc wouldn't exceed the 501's capacity by less than 400%.

Far better to go for a crane that eliminates the head completely and simply fits to the top of the tripod with it's own mount, like this one.........

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Camcorder_Jib_Boom.htm

Remember tho' that the tripod itself must be capable of holding anything up to 20 to 30 KILOS!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys.
Chris, that does look like a solution. Although the crane you posted the link to won't allow you to tilt, while a crane like the Kessler (and many other) can do this and really cost less.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms