Servo City Remote Head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old December 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Servo City Remote Head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGbk4UEO9ck

Will be released early in the new year. If you look carefully the Canon XL1 cannot rotate completely due to the lens hoods, after contacting them I have been told that there will also be a large model which is 4 inches bigger in each direction for larger cameras. Starting from US$500.

Should be more within the budget of the smaller companies than with the larger remote head costing over $1500
Andrew Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Major Player

I may actually buy a jib if this stays around the $500 price.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We have two units. The one shown on Youtube is the shorter (smaller) of the two. It will hold a Canon XL1 fine but will not allow it to rotate all the way around as you could see. From the center of the mounting plate to the back is 8 inches....basically if your camera is 14 long and the threaded mount on your camera is in the middle, you can rotate it completely around. Our second unit that will be shown very soon is four inches larger in every direction and will handle larger cameras with ease. Both units can easily handle up to 25 pounds with the roll attachment and over 25 pounds when just using the pan & tilt.
Not to get more confusing BUT we will be offering 2 versions of each size, a professional unit that is both very fast but can also move at a crawl and everything in between. This unit is great for "live" broadcast video. These units have external potentiometers and use our patened servo gearbox setup. They can rotate up to 500 degrees. The second version will also operate very smooth but uses less expensive servos that have multi-turn internal potentiometers. It is not quite as fast nor can it move quite as slow but still produces fantastic video. Both versions can be controlled with our wired or wireless 2.4GHz joysticks and our recordable joystick.
Prices for the Pan & Tilt Pro Series will be right around $600.
Prices for the Pan & Tilt Standard Series will be right around $500.

http://hbsboard.com/index.php/topic,2792.45.html
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Major Player

this is fantastic news!!
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Major Player

pan tilt head

I have just found out as well that if you have a smaller hand held cam (under 5lbs) they have a smaller even more affordable pan tilt. with servos and a small controller and ads up to less than $300. great news for all the HV20 and that sized cam users. even more reasons to get that crane you've always wanted. Im definitely getting one of those.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Are you going to take pre orders? I would be interested in a few.

Thanks
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

For more information as it comes to hand...

http://hbsboard.com/index.php/topic,...dseen.html#new

(Sorry to promote off-site activity)
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Purchased mine today!!!

http://www.servocity.com/html/pan___tilt_packages.html
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Major Player

cool. Looks like it costs a little more than originally planed but it still seems inexpensive. Please post a review and a video from the footage when you get it up and running. Did you get the pro version?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

still yet to release the 3rd axis part. Shouldnt take long hopefully. BTW They are not continuous rotation, but can be ordered that way if required - it would probably cost a little extra.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Major Player

The nice part about the system, is that you can customize it any way you want. When the 3rd axis comes out, just add it. Want to change the gear ratio, just change it. I will post a video as soon as I get it and connect it to my crane. The 2.4ghz wireless option should be out soon as well.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

cant wait to hear more. can it just be hooked up to a standard remote control kit? That type of system already works on the 2.4ghz band and allows over 12 channels. something to look at is trying to put a gear on a continuous rotation servo and using it for changing zoom or focus on your lens (if indeed you have that type of camera)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fraser View Post
cant wait to hear more. can it just be hooked up to a standard remote control kit? That type of system already works on the 2.4ghz band and allows over 12 channels. something to look at is trying to put a gear on a continuous rotation servo and using it for changing zoom or focus on your lens (if indeed you have that type of camera)
From what I was told yes, you could control it with a surface RC Kit. Although, they said their 2.4ghz digtal would provide a better link. They even said they would have a control unit that would control up to 2 pan and tilt systems, which would be great.

The only issue I see is how to get the video back to monitor. With all the wireless required, meaning pan/tilt system, video link and zoom link it would be lots of room for interference.

Anyways, it sounds good to me just to give a try. Honestly, I would be very happy with one wireless camera control. :) If the wireless doesn't work well then it will make a great edition to my crane(wired to a joystick)

Would be really nice to have the features of the Grizzly Pro system I use, all camera controls at your fingertips... Running rj-45 takes a while but it works.

I should have the 985 system next week and I will post video shortly after.

Jon
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew

http://aerialinnovations.net/aerial/...I%2DLANC%2D051

I bought one of them for a project I am working on now, tested it with a friends rc set as I haven't got my own yet and it works fine with an XL1. Features wireless lanc control including...
Focus Manual/Auto
Focus In/Out
Zoom In/Out
Standby
Record
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #15
Major Player

Wow, thanks. I will have to get one!
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms