Here's a video of my new camera boom with my DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 13th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Here's a video of my new camera boom with my DVX100

Here's a link to a video I created about my new camera boom http://www.magoomedia.com/media/boom.wmv

I recently purchased it at http://www.studio1store.com for under $300.00. I use it with my Panasonic DVX100.

It works pretty good and opens up a lot of new effects. I threw this video together quickly and the demo is a little rough because I didn't have time to correct for the bad lighting (at dusk) using correct camera settings.

Jim Quinlan
Clearwater, Florida

Always available to participate in interesting video projects
Jim Quinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #2
Wrangler

Jim, looks pretty good man. I've always loved the look of boom/crane shots- as I've wanted to use it for some establishing shots in shorts. I'd also love to be able to do a crane shot from behind as a bride walks down the isle- I think a shot like that would be stunning. Problem is I don't know if it's practical to bring it to a wedding shoot as it's kinda large and would draw too much uneeded attention.

I was looking at Glidecam's crane, I think theirs might support counter weights which would make the transitions from sky to ground (and vice versa) more smooth.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Glen,

It's easy to put counterweights on this boom but it adds added stress to the tripod and makes it more challenging when transporting and when you put it on and off the tripod.

You could even hang some water bladders/platapus apparatus from the handles as a counterweight.

I agree that it may draw too much attention during a wedding.
Old July 13th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #4
High School Student

Jim, there appeared to be lots of jitter/play in the examples, is that caused because you don't have all that practice with it? Or because you had the struggle with a lot of body weight because of no counterweights? Good examples though...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Alex you're right and I apologize for the jitter and unnecessary movement in these examples. I was more experimenting with different angles and perspectives and wasn't concerned with making it smooth at the time. I rushed as evening was rapidly approaching.

Counterweight probably would have added to the smoothness and I do need more practice with it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms