Kessler Crane Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Kessler Crane Recommendations

I am about to purchase a Kessler outfit (unless someone tells me of something better) and would like recommendations from those of you who have the crane. I am looking at the 12' right now - I have an XHA1 (looking to upgrade to the red this year) with a RR M2E kit i use sometimes. What accessories or kits would any of you recommend based on your experiences with the crane?

Thank You,
Brian Ward
Brian Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Brian,

I just took the plunge and ordered the 8ft with the K-Pod and Hercules head. It will be delivered tomorrow so I don't have any feedback yet but can say that after an exhaustive internet research effort I feel confident the Kessler is the best crane for the money.

I am going to be flying a Sony V1U so probably about the same weight as you are.

Later I am going to upgrade to the 12 foot versoin and also get the short tip for the 5.5' one for tight indoor situations.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Brian,

I initially wanted to buy a Skycrane, from Bob, and actually called him to place an order. He was very helpful with answers to my newb crane questions, and he gave me great advice. Unfortunately, I needed one right away, and Bob did not have one in stock.

So, I called Eric at Kessler and he was just as helpful. He had the cranes, and convinced me to purchase the 5.5ft along with the 8ft crane (got the Toolless Kit, the brake, and the Kessler fluid head, along with the soft case).

Been using the Kessler Crane for almost two years, and been very happy with it so far. (Although, I've been considering selling the whole kit to buy the Pocket Dolly/Pocket Jib Combo. But the Pocket Jib isn't out yet, and I have several projects coming up.)

Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree with Jeff...Kessler makes an excellent product.

I needed a crane that would travel easily and set up quickly. There were several candidates but the Kessler stood out. You can configure the crane in so many ways and that made it perfect for my needs. At this point I had no idea how well it would work but the reviews made the decision easy.
I will never sell my Kessler Crane and intend to buy another one soon. It has travelled across my country (Canada) and down to Barbados and will go down again in a month. Always sooth as slik. I use it with a 528 XB Tripod and the Kessler Fluid swivel and a Manfrotto 519. I have the 8-12 tool-less combo, Ball re-locator,extended weight bar, Bescor pan tilt head etc. Soon to have a PT20 for it as well as the control center.
As mentioned I will be buying the 16 foot extension as well as their new mini jib when it comes out. Quality in design, engineering and build for an amazing price. Rare these days!
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for all of the input - just got a quote from Eric for the 12', kpod, hercules, dolly track and wheels, seat kit/low boy mount etc. I like the response from those that have this so i'm sure I will put my order in a week once i get the go ahead from purchasing.

Thanks again,
Brian
Brian Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms