Hey Jib/Crane Users!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Hey Jib/Crane Users!!!

I know it's a rather pricey and unusual accessory to have on tap (as far as I can tell), but for those who use jibs/cranes of whatever reach, how often do you find use for this accessory, and in what particular way? I have a EZ FX disc showing their equipment in action, and it really gets my imagination going, even if it isn't necessarily something for run and gun situations! What concerns me is the tripod mount, which I can't see swapping with the camera tripod. What reasonably inexpensive but sturdy tripod would be recommended for a junior type jib/crane?
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm dying to get a cobra crane (22lb. one)
I'd love it and stare at it and use it all the time!

seriously... add vert and horiz pans to dolly shots!
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #3
Major Player

All sorts of interesting models out there--I'm curious which ones have proved reasonably easy to set up, along with their versatility. Realistically, the shorter, lighter ones seem the most practical as an adjunct; supposedly the EZ FX has an additional "handle" that makes it something a single operator can deal with. More times than not I can't depend on others helping me.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #4
Major Player

ain't that the truth... I'd think the heavier the more stable the motion... (not too heavy...)
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Brusin : I'm dying to get a cobra crane (22lb. one)
I'd love it and stare at it and use it all the time!

seriously... add vert and horiz pans to dolly shots! -->>>

Unless you have a very light camcorder, you will not like the Cobra Crane. Trust me. It doesn't handle something like a VX-1000 or VX-2000 gracefully. It bobs and weaves and bends and twists.

I recommend you look to one of our sponsors for a better unit.
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you are using a small miniDV camcorder (up to DVX-100A), and are looking for something completely different, check out the Cool Cam at CoolCam.US. It is also available in Europe at Boom-Audio.com

This boom allows you to take it off the tripod and wear it on a harness. This opens up many unique creative options.

There are some demo videos on the web sites.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Cool Cam

That is impressive for it's simplicity. It was very stable with the video demos that I saw especially with the girl in the car overhead shot. The Cool Cam system is similar to the Body Boom but probably much more affordable.

www.bodyboom.net

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=Body+Boom
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:56 PM   #8
Wrangler

Donno. I can't hold a camera in my hands all that stable. Magnify that by a boom and what can it look like? When used by ordinary folk, how do they stablize it?
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

You don't hand-hold it. It is a counterbalanced boom with a fulcrum which is supported by the harness, pole, and belt (or by a standard tripod fitted with a 3/8-16 threaded stud).

Although it takes a bit of training to set up, and practice to get really good at it (like anything else), even a first timer can get nice steady shots with fluid movement. You can get it with or without the motorized pan head, and the boom length is continuously variable.

I saw guys try it out at the NAB show and were impressed with how easy it was to operate.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms