Kessler Crane - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old December 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #61
Major Player

I found a 3061 tripod on ebay for $200. The 528xb is the 3061's replacement. The 3061 will support up to 66lbs. I also found them new from $270 which is much cheaper than the $650 price tag of the 528xb.

Combined with the Kessler hercules head it should work well. I will post pictures when I get the tripod.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #62
Major Player

Stand for Jib

Here is the solution I found. I use a JBL branded speaker stand with a pipe flange and a couple of adapters to go into the speaker stand this seems to work pretty good, and smooth. the speaker stand could be had for about 75 bucks or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Kessler Crane-flange.jpg   Kessler Crane-stand.jpg  

Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #63
Major Player

The orange bag

I keep a 2 liter bottle and adjust the water to match trim for whatever cable is attached to the jib. just in case some one was wondering what the bag was all about.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM   #64
Regular Crew

We have recently purchased the 8 ft. version, and from the first day we used it, it made a big difference in the way our videos looked. It's pretty easy to use and assemble. Just keep a few smaller extra weights handy so you can make balance adjustments when you tilt your camera up or down (forward and back) due to the slight balance changes. ;-)
Marty Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #65
Trustee

I just bought the 8' Kessler Crane and used it for the first time last Thursday. Pretty dramatic results considering it's the first time I've ever used a crane. I certainly need a better tripod, or at least something better than the 501 head I used. I really had to crank down the locks on the head, so much that I was afraid I'd strip them.

I also determined that I'm probably going to use it exclusively with my GL2. My XL2 seemed much too heavy, especially with the tripod and head I was using.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
I just bought the 8' Kessler Crane and used it for the first time last Thursday. Pretty dramatic results considering it's the first time I've ever used a crane. I certainly need a better tripod, or at least something better than the 501 head I used. I really had to crank down the locks on the head, so much that I was afraid I'd strip them.

I also determined that I'm probably going to use it exclusively with my GL2. My XL2 seemed much too heavy, especially with the tripod and head I was using.

I bought the 8' Kessler Crane as well. I am using it to film at the historic sites I work at. It has done so well, I called Eric and bought the 12' extension. I am using a Bogen 3061 tripod on a 3067 dolly with either a Bogen 3066 or 116 head with my Sony VX2100 on a Bescor MP-101 motorized head. No problems at all.
Michael Kladky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Another happy user.

I spoke with Eric a couple weeks ago and order the 8' with the hercules head and a varizoom monitor. Everything works great so far from what I've tested. The only complaint is the Varizoom monitor but that's because I'm comparing it to my EX1 LCD. Everything works great and I couldn't be happier.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Ok, so this is my first shot with the crane. But so far it's working great.

http://homepage.mac.com/justin.carls...t_property.mov

http://homepage.mac.com/justin.carlson/~~temp/beach.mov

Last edited by Justin Carlson; January 26th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #69
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Talbot View Post
Another option to consider is a used Samson Quickset tripod. These are available from time to time on EBay at a fraction of their retail price. I have one that came with a dolly wheel set and it easily handles my eight foot Kessler. The head is not a fluid head but that doesn't seem necessary given the mass and physics of the crane. I paid $100 for the legs, head and dolly but I have seen them go for much less.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was completely unprepared when I received my Kessler earlier this month. My Bogen tripod and 501 head was not sufficient at all, especially when I tried to used my XL2 on the crane. I checked eBay and was able to get a Quickset tripod for $75 that is more than adequate for my crane with the XL2 and a full set of weights.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #70
Regular Crew

cable drive PT heads?

As any one used a cable drive system? how does it compare to a motor head.
I am looking for a big jib. I was thinking The Jimmy Jib lite cable drive, But I am not to sure about the cable drive thing.

Kessler is comeimg out with a 16ft crane and their own motor head! This might be the ultimate sulution for all of us.

Does any body know how they messure the Jimmy Jib and the kessler crane? Is the kessler only 2ft shorter than the Jimmy Jib, or is 16ft the entire length?
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #71
Regular Crew

so what is the latest new on the 16ft kessler crane?
Pair that up with their new motor head and we've got something to compete with jimmy jib here.
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #72
Major Player

Kessler Crane

Just a quick note to mention how great I think the Kessler Crane is -- got mine this Monday and I'm really impressed with the quality. Just assembled it today. Eric Kessler is great to deal with and actually called me to make sure everything was fine!
Check it out -- a great product!
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #73
Major Player

Getting an 8' Kessler from CO to CR

anyone have experience flying a crane to a somewhat remote location? I'm headed to Costa Rica next Saturday and looking to get the crane there too. Right now we're looking at a good packing job and paying the extra fee ala surf boards.

What experiences have you had?
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #74
Major Player

Hi Scott - Not a remote location but we have transported our 8ft Kessler crane from the USA to the UK in the packing it originally came in (cardboard box with "Please Handle With Care" stickers on it) without any problems, although we did make sure all the thumb screw fittings were put into a small bag that one of the crew put in his pocket. We will be travelling to Europe shortly and we now have a heavy duty exhibition stand bag we put it in (with a bit of bubble wrap to aid padding) this is checked into the oversize area where golf bags etc are taken - we intend to pick up weights (or improvise) for it on location much the same we do with our ladder dolly where we can break down the dolly to fit into a tiny bag and pick up 2x4 wood beams or ladders at the location. We have also used FedEx to move equipment with no issues.

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Bogen 516 head on 515 legs ok for Kessler 8'?

Hi guys...

Sorry to add to the already huge list of Kessler topics but I need a bit of advice.

I'm thinking about getting hold of the 8' crane, but will my 515 tripod be ok with it? I've got a 516 head on it, and my camera is an XL2 with the redrock m2 lens adaptor.

Obviously it's going to exceed the tripods load capacity, but will it be ok if its spread over the crane and balanced either end (ie so all the weight isn't directly on the tripod head)?

Or do I need to get some new legs?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms